Changed IP and can not get enough timing

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Could be a lift pump on it´s way out. What fuel pressure are you getting at the fuel filter head? These injector pumps use internal pressure from the transfer pump to regulate timing advance.
Why did you change out the pump? Similar problem?

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the input. I'm working with Gary.
IP was changed out as it died.
Went to start it one morning, and nothing. Luckily it was in the driveway. .
I had fuel getting to the IP, but nothing after.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the IP pump pulled all the way over to the passenger fender, I can only get 1 degree BTDC.

There is the chance the gear itself was out of time before you owned the truck.

turns out i fubared the ip gear and was off 2 teeth.

this is my guess as to whats going on.not a bad idea to check via a different timing method,but there doesn't appear to be any faults with the method used.

if we think about this for a moment,what would happen if we set our pumps max over/advanced with properly lined up timing gears? we'd know it right? imagine the clatter the thing would sound like? we've done a few degree's like 10BTDC or so.remember that high pitched clatter? i doubt he'd mistake such horrendous amounts of advance once he started her up.:D
she's simply got to truly be at 1BTDC full over,due to the gears being out.even us very,very bad at timing by ear (i can't get closer than 5 BTDC either way lol) we'd all know that full over to the side would (should) sound ridiculously wrong.

Last edited: