Center Support Bearing (Drive Shaft) size

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to determine the proper inside diameter of the center support bearing that a 1991 SC F-350 with 10.25 Sterling with 4.10 gears should have.

Checking with my local Napa, they show that model could use either a 1.570 id or a 1.378 id. :confused: I have checked the parts bin
and had no luck in locating the information that I'm looking for. Which one should fit that configuration.

John

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine uses the smaller of the two, but that's because it has the sissy sized C6 driveshaft in it. Auto driveshafts are smaller in diameter and use smaller Ujoints than the ZF5 driveshaft (rear only).
With the ZF5, I would guess it's the bigger version

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to go with the bigger hole. My bet is the larger hole is 3/4 ton, while the smaller hole is 1/2 ton. Why not buy both, and just return the one you don't need? That's how I do it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once again Mel has the correct idea. Generally speaking a person behind the parts counter has no idea what the book tells them to do. So buy both and return the wrong part. sure beats the hell out of buying the wrong parts... Driving back to buy the right part. Start and stops to the work sucks big time. And.. Getting it apart and finding out you have the wrong part only to return it and then find out "they" don't have the right part... But will special order it for you... Yeah... Been there too. Buy both parts and be done with it.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is the smaller of the 2. I took the #'s off the driveshaft, then went to a local dealer (unusually good parts guys ;Sweet) he followed the paper trail (updated parts #'s, etc.) then told me the correct one.

Kind of a pain :dunno. I do like Mel's answer. Get both then return the one that doesn't work. Problem is they are $35-$55 each here. You do get the $ back when you return it though.

8seconds

Looking to Modify
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the all the input. The larger of the two was the correct size for the ZF5, which was the 1.570" ID. Could someone please add this to the parts bin for future reference.

Thanks again,

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online