Front spindle nut size on duallies = 1-1/16 socket?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is the stock spindle nut for removing the front hub/rotor assembly on a RWD dually 1-1/16 hex? That's what Dorman replacement show, but aftermarket are sometimes different:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/dorman-autograde-3358/wheel-bearings-hub-assy-seals-25107/bearings-and-seals-25072/spindle-axle-nut-11246/229f3c95ab2e/dorman-autograde-3-4-16-inch-thread-spindle-nut-kit/05191/4177344/1985/ford/e-350-econoline?q=spindle/axle+nut&pos=0

Van chassis are probably the same as trucks, since the wheel seals and caliper repair kit I never used on my 87 F250 SRW also fit the 85 E350 DRW. I want to be sure I have the right socket on hand before mid next week. If that's the case, 1-1/6" is 26.99mm so the 27mm deep impact socket I use on the 1-1/6" hex lug nuts will fit fine.

Due to the wheel simulators being held on with the lug nuts, I can't just go pop off a hub cap and dust seal to check. (Those pretty chrome simulators are almost more trouble than they are worth.)

Since the rear just got all squared away after me working on it 3 times this year, and the front is losing fluid and aren't working right, I'm gonna do a complete overhaul of the front brakes next week: rotors, caliper seals, maybe pads. The pads it has aren't very old and are heavier duty than the ones I ordered along with the new rotors. Just wanted to have everything on hand before I start working on it, so I don't have to stop and go to a parts store or wait days for another shipment. Free returns for the pads to crapazon if I don't use them.

Centric rotor: $25 (there was only one in stock)
Bendix rotor: $42
Bendix Stop pads: $25

Mind you, this is all after paying $1200 to a shop to do brake work on this thing in early 2019. Brake work from shops is such a total rip off anymore.

Gonna clean and regrease the wheel bearings while I'm in there too, since it's likely got 35 year old grease. The hubs aren't noisy so the bearings themselves should be fine.

Last edited:

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1-1/16" is the spindle nut, 3/4" x 16 fine thread. Should (maybe) be the lug nut size also.

Last edited: