Can't turn over

New too the site but need some help! My idi 7.3 started making some clapping noises on thanksgiving

• Help

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Idi719

Reaction score
Hey Guys
New too the site but need some help! My idi 7.3 started making some clapping noises on thanksgiving when I was driving her. I didn't have any power loss but pulled over an shut her off. Now she will not start again. I can only turn the motor over by hand to a certain point before i can turn it by wrench any further in both directions. Any thought when I crank it over by hand it wants to start tell it hits that point an then makes a thud sound an nothing please help thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess is that you dropped a valve.
pull valve covers off, and inspect
get ready for an engine swap

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't turn it over, it's either hydraulically or mechanically locked. +1 with Idiot above on pulling the valve covers and looking for something obvious. If everything looks good there, you could think about pulling the glow plugs and seeing if you can turn it over.

Good luck, I would plan for the worst and hope for the best.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like something is keeping the piston from making a complete rotation. This could be a valve that broke or a cylinder filling with coolant from head gasket or cavitation or a crack. Suggest you do as posted about removing the valve covers to look at the valve action. Sadly you are going to be replacing this engine so it seems. Sorry for the bad news.