Can't tell if this is a dmf or smf

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I can't tell if this is a dual mass flywheel or a single mass flywheel. The throwout bearing came out in a hundred pieces so I took the clutch off to inspect and if I'm not mistaken it's totally shot. The last picture it seems there is no clutch material left it's metal on metal. Found the clutch arm was totally shot as well

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no numbers on anything anywhere except the friction plate there's a South bend logo and there phone number I don't know if it's an aftermarket clutch or not can't tell

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Can't tell if this is a dmf or smf"

I was wondering if you were looking at singles dating pages and trying to sort out who's who. lol
Sorry for no help with the flywheel.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like there's no springs at all on the flywheel? That would mean it's a SMF. DMF would have springs on the flywheel.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the idi dmf has the springs inside the flywheel. From all the images i can find the dmf sticks out a good bit from the ring gear and mine doesnt so im thinking it might be a solid. What is the best clutch for the idi. Mine has the pump turned all the way up with a hypermax turbo kit. Looking for the least amount of pedal effort thatll still hold the power

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to recommend the Luk clutch kit from what I've seen.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the zf5-42. There are a couple different luk kits which one is best and how can i be sure itll fit on my flywheel

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so i think i figured it out. I believe i have the 13in south bend smf clutch kit in there which makes sense considering the friction disk is 12.75in in diameter and theres a SB logo on there. So heres the deal just the SB clutch kit is around 450-475$ without the flywheel and i would definetly have to have mine resurfaced or i can buy the LUK kit including the flywheel for only 350$. Is the SB worth it, doesnt seem like it its not like im making huge power or anything.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the flywheel looks good and the clutch disc is not that bad either. Fix all the other stuff and get a disc and you would be in business. You can get a local shop to kiss the flywheel with a surface grinder if you wanted to.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clutch disk is supposed to have friction material on both sides right? Well theres literally none left on the one side its metal on metal. Unfortunatly when the throwout bearing went out it grinded the clutch fingers pretty badly so im 100% in need of a complete clutch kit. Plus it doesnt seem SB sells those parts seperatly.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of hp will the LUK 07-255 support. I have the pump about 1/2 turn from bottoming out and the hypermax turbo kit. Will the LUK work or would i be better off keeping the SB 13in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86