Can i put old DMF back in after installing SMF?

Jbone36

Reaction score
Hate to beat a dead horse or open a can of flywheel politics but..
A while back snapped the tailhousing on zf5 decided while in there to do the clutch " worked fine though".
After some reading i went with LUK SMF.
This thing is loud . And its making me nervous that its killing my trans.
When driving anything over 55 when i release accelerator pedal it releases hounds of hell screaming so loud i cant hear engine or stereo until i accelerate more or get below 50. Downhills its all speeds but faster is louder. Idle is silent. I will try to make a video to show.
Anyone else experience this only at high speed? And is it worth putting old dmf back in? It seemed fine but?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet it isn't your clutch. It's probably the rocking of the engine when you let off the pedal makes it move a bit and something is rubbing on the exhaust or something like that.

If you're decelerating and push the clutch in does the noise change or stay?

Jbone36

Reaction score
Goes away when clutch is pressed its a loud metal on metal from bell housing like flywheel is spinning rubbing or pushing transmission too hard

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree this is not SMF related, unless it was installed wrong but if it's silent at idle it's not gear rollover.

Did you change any driveline angles?
@IDIoit just had this same issue, was caused by driveline angles too extreme.
I'll bet it isn't your clutch. It's probably the rocking of the engine when you let off the pedal makes it move a bit and something is rubbing on the exhaust or something like that.

If you're decelerating and push the clutch in does the⁰ noise change or stay?
I had this happen to me after my 3" downpipe upgrade off the turbo, downpipe was hitting the firewall seam but only under really specific conditions. Freaked me out!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to beat a dead horse or open a can of flywheel politics but..
A while back snapped the tailhousing on zf5 decided while in there to do the clutch " worked fine though".
After some reading i went with LUK SMF.
This thing is loud . And its making me nervous that its killing my trans.
When driving anything over 55 when i release accelerator pedal it releases hounds of hell screaming so loud i cant hear engine or stereo until i accelerate more or get below 50. Downhills its all speeds but faster is louder. Idle is silent. I will try to make a video to show.
Anyone else experience this only at high speed? And is it worth putting old dmf back in? It seemed fine but?
please tell us a little about the truck.
as stated, i had a hell of a time with this.
changed transmissions, clutch, transfer case and rearend to no avail.
turns out i needed a DC rear shaft (double cardan)
also known as a constant velocity (CV) u joint set up.
after i did that, the noise completely went away.

Attachments

• 269278889_453474839664853_5585136275456918907_n.jpg
    269278889_453474839664853_5585136275456918907_n.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 13

Jbone36

Reaction score
Everything was fine after i swapped the e4od for zf5 until front driveshaft came off at high speed "diddnt know it got bumped into 4x4 snapped of hit frame and snapped tail section..replaced tail section and also went to smf. After replacement i have the sound when there is a load is let off of engine. Letting of pedal is really loud grinding from flywheel like the trans is trying to keep up with engine or visa versa or maybe what it would sound like to go down hill at 50 in 1st gear.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Its not possible to be motor mounts right because flywheel cant move. Its almost like when i let off gas the flywheel is spinning on clutch or metal..instantly goes away no mater speed if accelerate or push in clutch..Im perplexed.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the ZF inspection plate to check the flywheel? Maybe you could see something going on in there with it off.

It's sounding more like installation error or some other variable I'm missing. I'd pull the inspection plate and bar over the engine with a light and see if a bolt head has shiny bits on it or something similar that shows where the grinding/wear/noise is coming from.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not possible to be motor mounts right because flywheel cant move. Its almost like when i let off gas the flywheel is spinning on clutch or metal..instantly goes away no mater speed if accelerate or push in clutch..Im perplexed.
hmm maybe you destroyed the transfer case.
where in cali are you?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Of course, to answer the original question, yes you can put the DMF back. If you didn't mark the pressure plate and flywheel when you took them off, you may get some clutch chatter after putting the old stuff back.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it sound like the clutch is slipping against the flywheel but with no power loss or actual slippage?

I might have the same thing going since my ZF5 swap with the SMF. Driving fine, but randomly will make a terrible noise when cruising and I let off the throttle.

Jbone36

Reaction score
Does it sound like the clutch is slipping against the flywheel but with no power loss or actual slippage?

I might have the same thing going since my ZF5 swap with the SMF. Driving fine, but randomly will make a terrible noise when cruising and I let off the throttle.
Exactly whats happening although its not random its all times over 55mph and super loud at 60.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are not in 4x4. Get under there and turn the front driveshaft by hand to make sure it's free and the hubs are not stuck and there is nothing wrong with the transfer case and it's not driving the front driveshaft.

I had the same problem when I was in 4x4 only, and the front driveline angles where off. A double cardan joint in the front fixed it, but I had the problem since I bought the truck. If you are sure you are not in 4x4, then check the rear driveshaft.

I agree with the others, you do not have the classic roll-over noise from a SMF install. The classic roll-over noise is loudest at idle with the clutch pedal up.

beechkingd

Reaction score
You did remember to install the pilot bearing in the flywheel I assume? I had a similar issue on another vehicle when it went bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Members online