Can't tell if this is a dmf or smf

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I found where Macrobb had mentioned (a few years back) that he thought the Luk kit felt softer at the pedal than the other clutches did and held up to his power fine. He said that he was running about 250HP to the wheels. I think I can remember seeing someone else say that the Luk kit is good for about 300 HP to the wheels, but don't quote me on that.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I should be good then. Stock pump is only capable of around 200-225 wheel hp from what I remember

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think so. IIRC, he had a Turbo pump so it was probably capable of a little bit more power.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So iv spotted a problem, the thin plate that goes on flywheel bolts its like a spacer of somekind is not there where its the south bend flywheel. The LUK instructions says i have to have it, well do i. What will happen if i dont have it otherwise it looks like ill have to find one on ebay and wait for it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If it's similar to other flywheels, that's just a scuff plate, supposed to take any scuffing caused by the bolts instead of the flywheel itself. As for it working without it, probably would be fine, but I'd reach out to South bend.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was missing as well when I installed my LUK kit. I found another post somewhere where a person in the same situation had called LUK and was told not to worry about it. I installed my flywheel without the spacer/scuff plate and I haven’t had any issues.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest concern would be the potential for the bolts to damage the main cap without the spacer. I know they have to be a certain length but that's really all I know. Maybe someone else can chime in? @typ4 maybe?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i went ahead and torqued them all down to 50ftlbs and everything felt good, nothing abnormal so im going to hope and assume its fine.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit already had some kind of red stuff on the bolts so again i assumed it was sealer/locktite and didnt put anything else on them

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i got the trans back on and WOW it is really easy to push that clutch in i cant believe it, before it took massive force to push. Is there a torque spec for the bolts that hold the trans to the engine or is as tight as i can get it with a 8in wrench enough

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i got the trans back on and WOW it is really easy to push that clutch in i cant believe it, before it took massive force to push. Is there a torque spec for the bolts that hold the trans to the engine or is as tight as i can get it with a 8in wrench enough
It’s not as tight as your thinking if your strong. I can check the book later but I off my head it’s not in the 40s and it’s not in the 70s so if you have it somewhere from 50-69ftlbs should be good. If it was in the 40s maybe mid to upper. More often you are surprised by torque specs being lower than you’d think in my opinion.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how I do it just tight and send it but don’t break em off or youl really be sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online