Can't get front main oil leak to seal up

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
We've replaced the main seal twice, sleeved the dampener and re sealed the main plate on the front of the engine. Nothing stops it. And it's a bad leak. Like runs out almost like there's no seal there at all. Any ideas?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did you put RTV on the balancer bolt shank and washer?

Sean this was my thought too. Oil will leak past the machined keyway if you don't seal it up. A dab right to the keyway will spread out when the washer is tightened down by the bolt.. I can't imagine the cover being rusted thru or those three welded on nuts going thru the plate to the oily side. BTW those three nuts are for the Rotunda special seal installation tool. You thread in 3 studs. Place the seal in the groove. Then place the seal tool strongback and screw the plate down evenly till the seal is flush.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I remember right according to my international manual the seal itself is also supposed to have a coating of rtv on it before its pressed in.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember right according to my international manual the seal itself is also supposed to have a coating of rtv on it before its pressed in.

Just so we are clear you mean the OD of seal...the actual shell part that presses into the cover, correct?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sean this was my thought too. Oil will leak past the machined keyway if you don't seal it up. A dab right to the keyway will spread out when the washer is tightened down by the bolt.. I can't imagine the cover being rusted thru or those three welded on nuts going thru the plate to the oily side. BTW those three nuts are for the Rotunda special seal installation tool. You thread in 3 studs. Place the seal in the groove. Then place the seal tool strongback and screw the plate down evenly till the seal is flush.

Absolutely. That's exactly how we installed it. It's been a couple years since we did it the last time and actually had the engine running. We had hoped we fixed it the second time around but it's still doing exactly the same thing. I'll double check that the dampener bolt washer is sealed. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online