can you replace battery terminal connectors?

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot afford all new battery cables,

is it possible to take off both of my + batt terminals on the cable and put new ones on?

my grounds are fine but my hots are all chewed up so badly you could probably have it crack in your hand:eek:

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
yep, i just changed mine. just cut old connectors off, strip wire back a bit, clamp wire on new connectors. had some fugly connectors, now theyre nice n shiny.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I cannot afford all new battery cables,

is it possible to take off both of my + batt terminals on the cable and put new ones on?

my grounds are fine but my hots are all chewed up so badly you could probably have it crack in your hand:eek:

the only good ones to buy--are the type, that have to be crimped with a large electricians clamp,,thats what i use--the bolt clamp ones,,are worthless--got to a semi tractor place--they normally have crimped ends they can repair your cables with--just remember--there may be corrosion clear back in the cables--farm tractor places sometimes have the ends also---

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Farm implement places like John Deere, etc. would be a good place to have them repaired also. I had them make me a new positive cables years ago exactly like my factory one out of 2/0 welding cable. Rockauto also sells the factory cables.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont really want to pay someone to crimp on some new connectors if thats the case I'll buy the new cables.

whats wrong with the type that you clamp on yourself?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont really want to pay someone to crimp on some new connectors if thats the case I'll buy the new cables.

whats wrong with the type that you clamp on yourself?

napa does it pretty cheap.go check with them.you may be surprised.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your model have the single HOT cable with a terminal for the second battery in the middle of the cable ??

If so, then you can do away with that troublesome set-up while still using your existing cables.

You can crimp on copper cable-lugs and fasten them to plain old clamp-on terminals via the big bolt.

Better yet, use marine terminal adapters on the posts and connect the copper lugs to those.

I have been making very servicable crimps on copper lugs for many years by laying the lug with cable inserted in the "VEE" of a piece of angle-iron and making three spaced dimples in the lug with a pointed punch.

First, you want to saturate the copper strands with Vaseline and fill the recess of the lug with Vaseline also.

The Vaseline will prevent any moisture from entering and will keep the copper looking shiny-new for years.

As an alternative, any welding supply shop will have the copper lugs and crimp them on for you.

You want 3/8" "eyes"/holes in the lugs.

Once you get the cables prepared thus, then you can buy Group-31s stud-type batteries when you next need them and your cables will already be ready. ;Sweet

whitestroker

Reaction score
I soldered copper terminal lugs on all my cables (i didnt have a crimper and i think it makes better contact with solder). I eventually switched to threaded post batteries but ran adapters until.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's not hard to solder big cables. but it's not cheap either. i've done all the cables in my other truck that way. and then got marine terminal adapters. been great for years now. the key though is dual wall heat shrink tubing. or silicone in regular heat shrink. it actually seals the connector. without that they won't last long.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are bent on bolt clamp type connectors TSC has heavy duty ones, big beefy dogs. Dip your wire ends in conductive paste and coat the battery terminals and the inside of the connectors. Just be sure to check and make sure every thing is tight every time you service your truck. Cared for they can give you years of trouble free service, but they need much more attention that a crimp or solder connection. Nor do you have as many options.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with soldering them is that potentially you could generate anough heat in the cable during cranking to re soften the solder causing a bad connection, regular flux core solder melts at around 500 degrees or so. I have never had that problem, but I usually crimped them on and then soldered them for extra measure. Thats why battery cables are never soldered, always crimped.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with soldering them is that potentially you could generate anough heat in the cable during cranking to re soften the solder causing a bad connection, regular flux core solder melts at around 500 degrees or so. I have never had that problem, but I usually crimped them on and then soldered them for extra measure. Thats why battery cables are never soldered, always crimped.

I would think that the lead terminals would start to melt by that point also. Not sure what if any alloy is in them, but I know that I can melt lead out of a jacketed bullet in an kitchen oven :)