Can a 92 Ford IDI wiring harness work with a 12V 5.9?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what I am getting into.

Way back when I did my first one, I put it together in my head thousands of times, even in my sleep.

I found that it helped a bunch to always carry a note-pad and IMMEDIATELY write down any idea or bit of inspiration that came along.

Way back when, a private individual started a Cummins conversion website on his own dime and it soon grew to be huge.

I got a ton of good help from many of those guys.

Alas, the site is no more, so all of that great information is lost to oblivion. :(

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT <<<

This picture is Darrin's :

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2824591340101950171VXyaGs

That is a standard issue Cummins manifold just like what is used in 90% of medium-duty trucks.

Notice that the outlet is dead-center, giving room aft for the down-pipe and room fore for the alternator, even a big old Leece-Neville such as I have on mine. ;Sweet

Thanks, Darrin, for the use of your picture. :)

Reaction score
Hmm, Where would be a good place to locate one at a some what reasonable price? I am guessing a salvage yard that is willing to sell it seperate.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, Where would be a good place to locate one at a some what reasonable price? I am guessing a salvage yard that is willing to sell it seperate.

It would be a plumb miracle to find such a piece for sale used.

I bought the only one I have ever seen for sale and I had looked diligently.

It just showed up on E-Bay one day, I bid high and got it.

I probably paid more than a shiny brand-new one would have cost at Cummins.

Contrary to what the naysayers would have one believe, I have found genuine Cummins parts to be more reasonably priced accordingly than generic stuff at the parts-store.

Were I you, I would just print off that picture, show it to the Cummins guy, and have him lay a brand-new one on the counter. ;Sweet

Reaction score
For budgeting reasons would you mind telling me how much you piad? You can send a PM if you would prefer to keep it private. This is the first I have heard of swapping the manifold so I did not figure it into the biuld budget.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For budgeting reasons would you mind telling me how much you piad? You can send a PM if you would prefer to keep it private. This is the first I have heard of swapping the manifold so I did not figure it into the biuld budget.

It ain't no secret I don't think.

If memory serves, I want to say I paid $175 plus reasonable shipping considering how HEAVY a manifold is.

NEVER set a limited budget on such a project; just cross each creek when it comes before you and keep on going.

You can add it all up when you are finished and then make a budget. :)

Reaction score
Normally I would agree. But this biuld kind of snuck up on me and I have at least three others to deal with. So I have to try and fit this in when I can.

perk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fordguy100
That manifold works perfect for 24v and later engines. There is even plenty of room for the he351ve turbo to fit down there with room to spare. For th 12v a manifold with the same configuration can be purchased from cummins. I do not know the part number.