Camping trip in November

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So taking the family for a fishing and camping trip in November. It will be about 20-30 degrees at night time and in the 60s during the day. Is there anything I should check over or be aware of for this trip. It will only be 400 miles round trip. I don't know very much about the truck as I bought it 3 months ago now.
I did change out all the coolant with Final Charge. Changed out the engine oil & filter with 15w40 Rotella. Changed out the trans fluid & filter with Kendall Classic ATF. Changed the rear diff gear oil. Lubed up all the front steering zerk fittings. The power steeing pump was leaking very bad so changed that out, and while I was in there I changed out the steering gear box, It had a ton of play in it. The front calipers were bad, got new ones and installed them. I will be tearing into the rear brakes this week to see if they are ok.
Is there anything else that I should be looking at??? All help is appreciated.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Glowplugs and good batteries.
Fuel filter, carry a spare.
And maybe some white diesel klean.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sorry forgot to put that in. I replaced the glow plugs the first week I had it with Beru ZD-9. I will definitely get the spare fuel filter. I also put a Wix one on when I bought the truck as it had a Fram one. White diesel klean???

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it squared away pretty good so far. I'd buy a spare complete set of v-belts and if you haven't changed your injector return line o-rings now might be a good time to do so. Colder temps will put your batteries, glow plugs/controller and cables to the test. If any one of those things aren't in tip-top shape you'll find out pretty quick.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did the return lines, injectors, and IP the first month I bought it. I will get a bottle or two of the winter stuff. I also have been running two stroke oil in every tank of diesel. I put 32 ounces in each tack I fill up. I read somewhere that the ultra low sulfur diesel is ruff on our systems.

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesel kleen will give you all the sulfur needed and with the white jug, it will keep the fuel from jelling. I would suggest running diesel kleen year round to keep the entire fuel system properly protected. They have a summer blend too in a silver bottle. Hate to say it but walmart has the best price on it. I would also suggest that you have a cold temp window wash fluid. You don't want that stuff to freeze. It's a major pain to change your window washer lines under the cowl.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the winter diesel Kleen 80oz on amazon for $13.33 and with free shipping.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the winter diesel Kleen 80oz on amazon for $13.33 and with free shipping.
That's more than the everyday price at our local man-mall (Farm & Fleet). Right now it's on sale for $7.99.
Other things to carry:
* Spare belt(s?), tool(s) to install (are you v-belts or serpentine?)
* Fuel filter
* Gallon of oil
* Gallon of distilled water (pour some off if you're going where it goes below 32F)
* Spare fuses, one of every capacity, including maxifuses
* Spare bulbs, one of every size used in the truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you most of whats posted here already done. Its not possible to have a spare everything under or behind the seat. But v belts and fuel filters can save you. If you had an electric lift pump I would suggest a spare but no way would I suggest a spare mechanical lift pump. Those usually run 150,000 miles easily. I might add to the list that you lube the universal joints on the drive line.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just check and adjusted the rear brake shoes. No drop in the brake pedal now. I also put in a new lift pump about a month ago. The old one was leaking. Also looked at the battery cables and noticed that the positive cable was broken where it clamps to the battery so ordered a new one. I do all my own repairs unless it comes to rebuilding the trans or engine. I like knowing that I did the work and if something goes wrong only im to blame.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare coolant option - pre-mix a gallon 50/50 so it doesn't freeze. Oh and don't forget the most important thing to pack (besides the vacation gear) - AAA Plus (or equivalent) card.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spare coolant option - pre-mix a gallon 50/50 so it doesn't freeze.

That's what I carry year-round in my toolbox, along with a gallon of Rotella, filters, lug wrench, full size floor jack (I hate using small jacks), belts, and probably more that I can't remember LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online