C6 Trans Question

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling today it felt as if trans was slippiong just a little in 2nd only. I have 80K-90K on this rebuild. So here are my questions. I replaced the modulator because I thought it might be leaking. I adjusted it out to shift sooner because it was running almost to the govenor before shifting. Does this affect teh amount of pressure on the intermediate band *** therefore allowing it to possibly slip? BTW the 1-2 shift is very soft. Not the nice bang it once had.

Secondly ahs anyone rebuilt a C6? I can't imagine it is that hard but I hard but I have only rebuilt manuals. The trans shop would not do it if I bring it in and they want $1400 to rebuiuld it. I would alos want valve body mods to allow it to fuction completly manual as well.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Maybe the high RPM shifting it had before was only do to a stiff shift linkage. A can of WD 40 fixes that.

1400$ for a rebuilt for the C6 is WAY over priced, shouldn't be over 800$! Even that's a little on the high side!

Can't help ya with anything else. Someone else should chime in soon.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You can adjust the 2nd gear band a little tighter so if it is getting loose that may help it for a while.

$1400 for a C6 Rebuild sounds pretty steep, I assume that is pulling it, rebuilding it and reinstalling it,...? You should be able to get a good quality bench rebuild for around $500.00

Sounds like you may want a HP rebuild with a full manual valve body, that will cost a little more, and I actually am looking into that setup as well.

I do know that Mel has rebuilt his C6 in the Moosestang.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would adjust the band before doing anything else. C6s don't just die for no reason but if they do, the most I would pay for a rebuild (not including removal and instal) is $500 unless there were billet parts in there somewhere.

C6 service manual

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I've done it. It's not that hard, but you do need some inexpensive special tools to do it easily. Adjusting the band and setting the VRV is a good option, but I would do it BY THE BOOK. Don't just start screwing around with it hoping for the best, especially with that band adjustment. Yes, the VRV will affect trans slippage, as will the modulator on the trans.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I adjusted the band on mine- loosen the locknut, torque the band adjustment screw down to 10 ft.lbs (it has a 3/8" square drive head screw, IIRC) , then back the adjustment screw out EXACTLY 1.5 turns.

Torque locknut down to 35-40 ft.lb while holding the adjustment screw stationary.

Shifted much better after it was adjusted! ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If the trans shop wont do a carry in, then find another shop. They are in the warranty sales business, not the quality repair busines, which means they will throw just enough parts at it to get it out the door and pray you sell the truck before you have to cash in on the warranty somewhere across the country.
Talk to the local speed shop and find out where you can take it in for a quality rebuild with high end parts, or shop some of the online supply houses and get all the top end stuff and a good book and do it yourself ;Sweet

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C6 Thoughts

Yea I've done it. It's not that hard, but you do need some inexpensive special tools to do it easily. Adjusting the band and setting the VRV is a good option, but I would do it BY THE BOOK. Don't just start screwing around with it hoping for the best, especially with that band adjustment. Yes, the VRV will affect trans slippage, as will the modulator on the trans.

Ok I know of the band adjustment, and i ahve been told if it needs adjusting it's too late. True?
What is the VRV? Is it the little modulator on the back with teh VAC hose hooked to it?
A trans guy also told me the piston on the right side sometimes has the seal get hard which could cause slipping? Heard of that?
I was offered a used C6 with unknown condidtion today. I was thinking of rebuilding it myself and building a towing model with full valve body control. Know any sites that have the heavy duty fixes?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ok I know of the band adjustment, and i ahve been told if it needs adjusting it's too late. True?
What is the VRV? Is it the little modulator on the back with teh VAC hose hooked to it?
A trans guy also told me the piston on the right side sometimes has the seal get hard which could cause slipping? Heard of that?
I was offered a used C6 with unknown condidtion today. I was thinking of rebuilding it myself and building a towing model with full valve body control. Know any sites that have the heavy duty fixes?
Total horse hockey, used to be bringing in a ford for band adjustment was considered standard routine maintnence, now tranny shops are always trying to sell rebuilds.so they try to tell folks that if the bands need adjusting, it's shot. Always do the simple things first before ripping the whole thing apart. The factory would not have provided the adjustment if it was a worthless endeavor .

sassyrel

Reaction score
as robert said--also--i mentioned before, that i can do a C6 with only one thrust washer left--full needle roller bearings--:sly:sly

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where would you buy parts or kit to rebuild? What valve body mods would be important? I saw neat stuff at the sites 77f250diesel suggestes, but they seem rather pricey and I'm not sure what I would really need or want. I just need to build something to haul 20K avg. consistantly. I did like the one vavle body that allows for speed reduction in first. Wish you could get that in 2nd too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726