c6 to e4od swap. Worth it?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know enough about the DNE2 (I have the GVOD), but I'd be worried about sourcing a tailshaft housing adapter for the E4OD. They are usually the thing that junkyards don't include when they sell the OD. I know that I'd never switch to the E4OD, because with my 3.55's and GVOD, I'm pretty comfortable with the RPM's and highway speed. Also, we haul a lot on our trips, and never had any issues with the tranny and gearing.

Another thing I'd be worried about is EGT's with double OD's, and also, I'd be worried about high-end speeds in these vans. Running double OD's with a low gear ratio could easily get you over 75mph at under 2100 rpms. While that kind of sounds interesting and efficient, you gotta wonder how appropriate it is to take a van designed to top out at around 3000rpms/60mph on a 3-speed C6, and push that steering and suspension up to 80mph. I have replaced my tie rod ends, steering links, put in bilstein HD shocks, installed a steering stabilizer, and some of the best coils I could buy, so that my steering could be the least sloppy that I could make it, but even with all that, whenever I get up to 80mph, it's like driving one of those bumper cars from a crappy carnival. I'd hate to get my 8'6" tall van sloppy at 83mph with a cross wind. As I get older, I find myself cruising a bit slower on road trips, not just for fuel efficiency but also I'm thinking the Ford engineers never really wanted these vans to go over 70mph.

Ultimately, the E4OD is up to you. I wouldn't, but that's just me.

As for the ecomods, I've detailed all my stuff on my site. I think running a double OD won't give you better fuel economy. Just because you're running lower RPM's doesn't mean that you are using less fuel. Depending on the grade, headwind, and other factors, the extra gearing might force you to use more throttle to keep the vehicle up to the higher speed. Also, your Banks upgrade is probably going to cost you a few MPG as well. Once you go turbo, you won't go back to the days of creeping up to speed on the on-ramp, stoplight, and passing lane. You'll hammer down and love every second of it. :thumbsup:

I can't say my truck has any problem cruising well above its original designed "top speed". The basic E-series and F-series platforms in question here were in production before and after the national speed limit of 55 MPH, so I don't quite understand the 60 MPH comfortable limit. Gasser Econolines don't suffer the same 3000 RPM limit, after all. And that's before considering the AOD option for the E-150s.:dunno

As for running low RPM at high speed, I agree to a point. If you are towing, hill climbing or pushing into a headwind, it might be more than the engine can handle. However what I found with my 3.08/E4OD setup is that my truck has two top gears. It is more than capable of burbling along at 65-80 MPH and tackling up to a 5% grade in overdrive. Anything more then that, and I have to gear down. But the point is, I can gear down. If I'm towing a trailer, I lock out overdrive and have the ideal 2200-2400 RPM range to keep turbo boost available at all times. And best of all, if I REALLY want to get serious, I can still gear all the way down to 2nd gear, let the converter lockup, and run all the way up to 3000 RPM for those steeper grades. It's a rough equivalent of 4.56 gears and a C6, minus the slip.

There were many skeptics when I first put together my tall gearing, but I maintain then, and now, that the only time you ever regret having tall gears is when you're first getting out of the hole. Anything above 20 MPH works just fine, while still giving you the ability to get better fuel economy on days that don't involve heavy loads.

Just for fun, I even tried cruising in overdrive at 55 MPH a few years back. A 3 consecutive tank hand calculated average returned 24MPG! Towing a flatbed on the same route netted 19MPG. Booooring drive, but made for some sticker shock at the pump.

I totally agree about fuel economy going down after a turbo though. Even today, I can't help myself.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for fun, I even tried cruising in overdrive at 55 MPH a few years back. A 3 consecutive tank hand calculated average returned 24MPG!

That's the key to better MPG with these engines. Slowing down. Whenever I drove 55mph, I got 3 or 4 more MPG easy. Before my turbo days, I would do that a lot to save fuel. It was boring, but you got used to it.

Then I got a turbo, and now I typically go with the speed of traffic here in LA. 70, 75mph, and even more in the deserts. My MPG really takes a hit. Last July, I drove up to the Arctic Ocean in Canada driving the Dempster Hwy. I drove 70+ in the states and on the TCH, but slowed down to around 60-65mph on the Alaska Highway. Once I got north of Whitehorse, the road narrows and it's hard to go faster than 55mph without worrying about smucking a moose or bison. And once you get north of Dawson City, it turns to gravel, so 45mph is typically the fastest one can drive on the washboard and potholes. My MPG from Whitehorse to Tuktoyaktuk and back to Whitehorse was over 20mpg easy. The key is slower. But that's no fun when you gotta a turbo and thirsty IP. :music:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm also not a slushbox guy.

My concern with the E4OD is how well/long it will last doing hefty towing chores with a turbodiesel... unless it's fully 'built'.

I know my wallet and I would be I'd be happier with the lower cost of a ZF5 swap. Even in a van.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also not a slushbox guy.

My concern with the E4OD is how well/long it will last doing hefty towing chores with a turbodiesel... unless it's fully 'built'.

I know my wallet and I would be I'd be happier with the lower cost of a ZF5 swap. Even in a van.

A ZF5 swap into my van would be great. Unfortunately, doing it in a van is much more involved than in a truck. Manual van parts are very scarce and from what I have seen online is the ZF5 doesn’t lineup and fit well. I believe it is too tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
A ZF5 swap into my van would be great. Unfortunately, doing it in a van is much more involved than in a truck. Manual van parts are very scarce and from what I have seen online is the ZF5 doesn’t lineup and fit well. I believe it is too tall.

I would have gone the ZF route on my '97 E350 had I kept it. Cut away floor as required and patch later.

Saw this vid about a swap...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have gone the ZF route on my '97 E350 had I kept it. Cut away floor as required and patch later.

Saw this vid about a swap...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yes, I watched that one as well.

You have to fab up the clutch on the pedal assembly, or find a manual pedal assembly which is pretty rare.

It can be done, just more custom fab stuff instead of bolt up plug n play type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People have been doing back yard overhauls of C6s for decades now. The E4OD has also been out for a very long time so any original weaknesses have been addressed. But if all you have available are used transmissions, I have a hard time arguing that the used E4OD with unknown history can handle more power and torque than a 5 speed with the same history. It might be true on paper, but Automatics really can be a pain to get right. I personally think it's worth it if you can do the work yourself, but in an era when hardly anything is available with a stick, I find myself less eager to fly the autobox flag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01