Bypassing the starter switch on column

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Can I bypass this switch with a push button start?

so a year later she's still sitting
i need to get it going.

Turn key key power to everything. Turn key acts like a dead circuit

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
It'll crank fine by jumping the fender solenoid but still won't fire up even with either

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Didn't you do a zf swap?
Makes no since that it'll start fine by jumping the relay, but not turning the key even with ether.
So it'll crank from the key, but won't start? Or it won't crank at all from the key? If it isn't cranking by the key at all, why do you think ether would help?

If it's cranking by the key, but not starting, that's probably the ignition switch under the dash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
No I was going go to but it's still got them c6

No it won't fire by jumping even with either just cranks
now it's not spinning very fast because I got a small battery on it don't know how much these need to turn over.

The key does absolutely nothing

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '90 was acting weird, the switch (on to of the column, under the dash) was broken and falling apart. Cost a few dollars and less than an hour to fix.

Eli

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the short cover near the cluster off that goes around the column. Turn the key back and forth, you should see a metal rod on top of the column moving back and forth. It goes down and actuates the ignition switch mounted on the top of the column under the dash. If you want a better look at the actual switch, take the bolts loose under the dash that hold the u-piece that holds the column, and let the column drop down in the seat. You can then see the switch better and see if it's working.

P.S. If you are going to drop the column and you have a automatic, make sure you disconnect the small plastic pipe that holds the string for the PRND21 indicator. It's very easy to break that thing.

gandalf

Reaction score
My '86 acted about like what I think your's is doing. I'd turn the key to crank the engine, but nothing happened, no cranking. I wired in a pushbutton to the starter solenoid. That turned my '86 into an old fashion start procedure. I'd turn the key to the run position, push the button to crank. Worked beautifully.;Sweet

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
My '86 acted about like what I think your's is doing. I'd turn the key to crank the engine, but nothing happened, no cranking. I wired in a pushbutton to the starter solenoid. That turned my '86 into an old fashion start procedure. I'd turn the key to the run position, push the button to crank. Worked beautifully.;Sweet
Dropped the column again the switch was broke damn parts house parts.
But still had the problem. I'm going to just do the push butting now my next question the gas isn't getting power?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726