Bypassing my stock water separator 6.9/84'

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
manky I have a racor with a plastic bowl on the bottom cheap if you want it. New element already on.

What are the replacement filters like, part numbers, etc? So I can get an idea of the cost to replace them. Cost of filters is a big decision point for me. If I could do a water separator with no filter - even a mesh screen like at 10 microns I'd be happy.

I guess I don't understand how the separators work anyway. Does water always bottom out in fuel?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A napa number is 3411, it has a drain but no bowl.. Baldwin is a bf 1204. no bowl. the racor elements are 30 bucks each but the bowl goes back on, Racor is way overpriced .I will have to put this on a marine forum to sell it I bet.

Attachments

• racor 1a.JPG
    racor 1a.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 18
  • racor 002a.JPG
    racor 002a.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 11

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the racor elements are 30 bucks each but the bowl goes back on, Racor is way overpriced .I will have to put this on a marine forum to sell it I bet.

Those are some really good looking units.

Read the fine-print carefully, as many that look like those state "not for use with diesel"; it could have some bearing on the element itself, but I have ran into it quite often = find a unit that looks really neat, only to find that it isn't for diesel.

LUCAS/CAV puts a very similar unit on all manner of European equipment that is specifically for diesel; you see them on many Fergusons, David Brown, etc.

https://www.simpsonsupplies.co.uk/DIESEL_FUEL_PARTS/

^^^^^This place has lots of good ideas for filtering/water-seperating; take a look at the dual-filter heads with the glass-bottom bowls.;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's not quite the same animal, but our locomotives have two fuel filters on them. The normal pressure of the fuel system is 45psi. Our filter heads have a 60psi bypass valve between them. If the primary filter clogs up, it will automatically bypass the fuel to the secondary filter. Both filters have a sight glass on top of them. If you see fuel in the one atop the secondary filter, you know the primary one is clogged up. I'd love to have a similar system on my truck! ;Sweet

If the bypass valve could be adjusted for our MUCH lower pressures, I may have to find myself one to experiment with! :D

Don't you just love to hold down that primer-button and watch the glass, while counting to twenty, then pull the compression-release bar and hit the starter-button, then ease off the compression-release until she roars to life ??

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is for diesel, 10 micron, element says vacuum"suction side "applications.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Racor seems to have a good reputation. They are pricey though! Perma cool also makes a fuel filter and water seperator that filters down to 2 microns. Replacement elements are about $16
Russ what are you asking for the Racor unit?

crockettcreek

Reaction score
cost for parts

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. I do not have part numbers right now but the ones in pics on this post are identical. Total cost was about 45.00 Way cheaper than a new seperator. I believe the 3411 number is correct for the filter. All you need to do is have them match the filter head to the filter.

RedTruck

Reaction score
For what it's worth,

An old Ford mechanic once told me that he regularly deleted the water separator located on the firewall. He said it's ridiculous to have the fuel travel up and down so many times. You're just asking for air problems. And if you ever run out of fuel, it takes that much more to get the system bled. He said if you regularly change your fuel filter you don't need to worry about water. While I believe him, I have the racor version of the 7.3 filter head for water separation. I want to know if I have water problems. I used 3/8" steel brake line to reroute my fuel lines. I routed it over the front crossmember using rubber coated steel straps.

Also, Racor was bought by Parker-Hennefin. I would advise against anything Racor. It's a PITA to find a supplier, and when you call corporate nobody knows what's going on. If I were in your shoes I'd find the filter head assembly for the 7.3 at a junk yard and use that. The filters are readily available almost anywhere.

Paul

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth,

An old Ford mechanic once told me that he regularly deleted the water separator located on the firewall. He said it's ridiculous to have the fuel travel up and down so many times. You're just asking for air problems.

Paul

In the 50k I've put on the dually since the new old motor got put in, that seperator has been bypassed and I've been through three fuel filters - never had water problems, even when I was running near 100% pond **** WMO last summer. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin