Burnt out starter

Ethan Smith

Reaction score
So my old man, bless his soul, just HAD to move my truck, because well, he had to move it.
I told him the key sticks so pull it back when it fires or the starter wont disengage. Well.....he didnt....
So the starter was smoking when tried turning it over, oh well, 200 bucks, what the hell else am I gonna waste my money on? Beer? Yeah, thatd been a lot nicer. It's the 3rd starter I've had to swap cause of my dumbassery.
So heres the kick, I swap it out, and the old ******* is turning over. Albeit different, it's a new chinese starter, good starter, gear reduction, but it's different, sounds torquer but a lil slower than the last one.
But the ******* wont fire. Kinda sounds like it did when I was starting him up for the first time when I rebuilt the motor.
Could running a starter to death have burnt out the fuel shitoff solenoid on the pump? This old man should have fired 2 batteries ago.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Could running a starter to death have burnt out the fuel shitoff solenoid on the pump? This old man should have fired 2 batteries ago.

I can't imagine it would. The solenoid is powered on with the key turned, so it's normally on constantly anyway when driving. Is it spinning fast enough?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low battery/bad battery cables if new one is not turning over fast. Will burn that new starter up fast!!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Food for thought.

Did you undo the starter power cable at the solenoid or the starter? (Or both?)

If at the solenoid, check your connections and make sure you did not bump something or twist something. (Like something that would have powered the glow plugs.) Also make sure all connections are clean, sanded, and making a solid connection. That way you know your wiring harness is getting power for the ignition switch and glow plugs.

If you unhooked the batteries, where there any wires on the clamp nut your forgot to put back on?

Since he left the starter system on for a long period of time -

1) Did he perhaps smoke the ignition switch and now your IP solenoid is not getting power or not getting power in the start position. Check to see if you get power before, during, and after cranking at the IP solenoid. If not it will not start.
2) Did leaving the soleniod and starter on for that long perhaps kill a fuse somewhere?
3) I know some years the starter circuit also powers the glow plug controller. Maybe leaving it in the start position for too long smoked your glow plug controller/relay. So check your glow plugs and see how much power they are getting and for how long.
4) Long shot but perhaps the starter go so hot it damaged the lift pump diaphram. So check the fuel pressure.

Check your batteries and also watch your voltage. Maybe your batteries are not up to the task or need to be charged fully. I would charge them both up, look for 12.4-12.6 volts after putting your headlights on for 10 seconds. (Kill the surface charge.) Then make sure you are getting 9 volts at a minimum during cranking. Anything less and things like the glow plug controller and IP solenoid may not function.

You also could run a compression test to see if your new starter and your old batteries are up to the task. If you are getting over 350 PSI on the 5th stroke, I would say the engine is turning fast enough.

Last resort, get under the hood and crawl under your truck and see if during the process of replacing the starter something got bumped or broken.

Send some pics and let us know what you find!

Last edited:

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't have, may have overloaded a fuse or fusible link. I'd be checking voltage at your FSS if you have a meter.

OP: In other small world news, I might be moving to Springfield/Eugene in the (hopefully near) future. Whenever that happens I'm good to help with IDI stuff and beer providing/drinking.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since your ignition switch was giving you troubles, I'm wondering if it isn't somehow related to that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online