Burning oil on the road

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a thread about my trip to Seattle and the Northern Cascade Mountains a couple of weeks ago. Well everything went great, I had 8 passengers on the way to Seattle, and 5 on the way back to Portland at 10 bucks a head. Everyone loved the van and it was a great time. I also took the van up some back roads in the Cascades, and it handled quite well. I'm very happy with it's performance. I hope to get some photos posted on the forum soon.

I have a quick question about motor oil. It seems as though when I top off the oil, that the exhaust stinks of burning oil until a certain level. Does this mean that I should only run the level it always ends up at? It's right around the lower line, which raises some concerns. Also having nasty fumes come into the van while driving gets a bit annoying. I can handle diesel exhaust, but when I smell burning oil, I'm not liking it.

Any advice? Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hard to say why the exhaust smells like burning oil but... When you change oil only put in what is known to be required. A standard oil filter and pan will take just 10 quarts. The psd 1995 filter is larger and that oil change and filter combo will take around 11 1/2 quarts. Don't use the dip stick to tell you how much oil you need to add till you have refilled with a known amount. This might be why you smell oil till it burns off. Maybe someone "fixed" the oil dip stick once...

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Check the oil hot and don't add any until it hits the add line.

When it gets to the add line only add one quart. It will show between the add and full mark but thats where you want it.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Mine has always done this. Anything from just slightly over add and above will make the exhaust smell of burnt oil.. The exhaust smell is somethin' I like on these old rigs, but not oil!::puke:

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has always done this. Anything from just slightly over add and above will make the exhaust smell of burnt oil.. The exhaust smell is somethin' I like on these old rigs, but not oil!::puke:

Nice graphic, yeah it's pretty nauseating:rotflmao!