Build the PERFECT TRUCK thread.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine:

F-superduty, with OBS front clip. Crew Cab cab. My parents P-pumped 8.3 cummins and MD3060 tranny with some tweaks, behind that a divorced transfer case, and Dana 60 front. Lockers front and rear. Aluminum flat bed. Rear passenger A/C, newer interior. Lots of gauges.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the mods im mainly talking about is typ4 cam and moose pump and bb codes. Possibly some boring, honing and porting

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i just wanna know if these trucks will be able to pull a decent load at 65 or 70. Like a 4 horse trailer (pull behind). I know my truck will pull anything if you give it time, but i want to go 65- 70

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
"You don't quite understand how a diesel works yet. They have a VERY limited RPM range where they are truely effective, below or above and power and fuel mileage go in the toilet. Sticking 5 speed boxes behind the things and trying to pull any kind of weight is a stretch. BEing able to split gears I went from a max of 11.5 mpg towing to 13.1 , and with the added benefit of running in 4 over I don't constantly have to shift on the interstate, I can just sing along at a steady boost rate, and my empty mileage has gone from a best of 14 mpg up to the 18.5-20 mpg range. All an auxiliary box or a 10 speed does is allow you to operate the engine where it was designed to be run."

One of my favorite quotes here on OB by RLDSL. I am not sure how fast anybody is getting the job done with an IDI but getting the job done safely with those kind of mileage numbers is quite impressive. A turboed, intercooled, Moosed IDI with a brownie set up in a good ol' Ford one ton chassis is hard to beat IMHO.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really do like the XLT/Eddie Bauer seats in the 94-97's. also the fold down center seat that has the cup holders and storage compartment. That's what I would have. Also a rubber floor mat. I personally hate carpet floors. When they get wet they take forever to dry out, they get stained, and there hard to clean.

It seems like this thread has the engine pretty well covered.

I would think the ZF-5 and a gearvendors overdrive would be nice. Has anyone on here ever run that setup? Also quality synthetics in the gear boxes with "Fast Coolers" (pto coolers) on the trans and Mag Hytec cover on the rear diff for better cooling and more fluid volume. My ZF would grind from 2nd to 3rd if I shifted too fast since I have owned it. I changed my transmission fluid and refilled with Amsoil syn ATF and the grinding was gone. I almost couldn't believe that it made that much of a difference, but now it never grinds. I have installed a couple of LUK flywheel and clutch kits. They seem to be good and it gets rid of that stupid dual mass flywheel. Spicer OEM sealed u-joints are the best in my opinion. I would stick with the Dana 60 up front and the Sterling 10.25 in the rear. I don't think you would ever need heavier axles than those.

Every pickup traveling down the highway pulling a trailer should have a heavy duty bumper/grill guard replacement. Hit one deer and it paid for itself. Plus it would be a shame to be down on the road with your hard work all smashed up.