Build the PERFECT TRUCK thread.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, Build the PERFECT TRUCK.
i am starting a new project and have a crew cab long bed frame. i also have a complete body but missing frt fenders. but this is what i want from here, i want opinions on how i should build it, what parts mainly. but here are the musts, it must be 4wd, it must be able to be driven long distances comfortably, it must pull a 5th wheel and pull a trailer when needed, must get good fuel mileage. i road race motorcycles so i go out of state a lot to different racetracks which is why i want the comfort and fuel mileage.
tell me what combo i should do to make this truck something i can relay on for 10 years, and to fulfill what i need out of it.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Run a 6BT 24V preferably with an NV5600 6-speed. Should get you 20MPG or better empty and have a ton of power. I'd just run typical axles, although you may need to convert to a dodge passenger side front axle for the T-case unless you run divorced. 4.10 gears and 35's. 94-97 body with an XLT interior with the factory bucket seats with power lumbar. I don't know. I'm just going wild here with fantasy.... :)

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i guess i should have stated i do have a budget. i also have a 7.3 IDI im using and zf 5-speed. other then that, what would everyone do to there truck? what engine mods, tranny mods, axles, ect. remember pulling a 5th wheel, i wish i could lift it but i cant, 285s will prob be as tall as i can go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From your description of what you want it to do no way are you going to need 4 wheel drive.... A dually... Probably... On a budget... Fine too. Why the fith wheel setup... Are you going to be pulling a trailer with living quarters plus a shop in it for the bikes... If so these are things you need to design in now.... If you have no need for a conventional bed then I would build a bed thats got plenty of cabinets in the sides and just a fith wheel on the flat bed part.... Maybe an aux tank up against the cab too... Engine work will be what you feel is really worth the money... anything to do to cut down on resistance to rolling will improve your hp bottom line... That means decking the block..... Align boring or honing the mains.... Line boring the cylinders to be perfect with the crank too... Porting the heads is a must... Adding a turbo is also a must... Then a Moose pump and at least a set of new Bb code injectors... Keep a spare set of those behind the rear seat too.... You never know when they will be needed out on the road some Sunday nite......:sly A transcold carrier electric lift pump is really an option you can't go wrong with.... They start pumping when the ignition is switched on so the fuel system is always full and ready.... Lots of cranking kills the starter and the batteries.....

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say 92-94 F350 7.3 turbo (Moose'd of course-if you can afford it), Intercooled, Typ4 cam in frt of a built E4OD w\Bauminator trans controller, good towing convertor and the largest external cooler you can find, or a ZF-5 and a brownie box like RLDSL

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, my previous truck was a 97 F250 CCSB with 4" of lift and 35's. It hooked up to my 5er just fine; the trailer was about 1" further off of the ground in the front vs. the back. There was still 7" inches between the bed rails and the trailer. The top of the bed rails were just about the same height as a newer Super Duty or Dodge at stock height..........but this really depends on the trailer. Most of the newer ones (mine is a 2002) are set up more for a taller truck.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres my dream truck cc lb f superduty 4x4 drw running a tall tire with mts in the rear and steer tires up front all in 19.5
id use a 6bt or 8.3 cummins with a commertial tranny with an od unit
id find a rare 10 lug d 70 front out of a larger type truck from the 70s
it would have a power rear window so if theres a topper you got extra storage
4 captians chairs
all the good stuff
hope i gave you some ideas
get some pics up there so we got somin to look at

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres my dream truck cc lb f superduty 4x4 drw running a tall tire with mts in the rear and steer tires up front all in 19.5
id use a 6bt or 8.3 cummins with a commertial tranny with an od unit
id find a rare 10 lug d 70 front out of a larger type truck from the 70s
it would have a power rear window so if theres a topper you got extra storage
4 captians chairs
all the good stuff
hope i gave you some ideas
get some pics up there so we got somin to look at

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start with what Silver Burner said, 94-97 XLT interior with power lumber buckets. I put 212,000 miles on my 95, and never got out of that truck tired or sore from sitting in it. follow Icanfixalls advice on the engine. I,d stick with the 7.3 & 5 speed, maybe a SMF. If you are putting a lot of miles on and could do it for a price that could fit your budget, convert to 19.5 wheels and tires.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a cc dually 4x4 with a flatbed. 7.3 factory turbo motor, 4.10 gears, 4 in lift, e4od, big tranny coolers 38 gallon rear tank with bed tank for added distance. Type 4 cam and a nice so
Sound deadened interior with a set of centurian seats.

Id also want a gearvendors overdrive.

I currently have everything to build my dream truck except for gearvendors.

Let me know if you want a dually 4x4. I may haw an extra set of adapters soon.

Im stuck between a 2x4 and a 4x4. The 2wd trucks steer great and ride even better. But I also hate getti.g if I have to pick something up offroad.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a cc dually 4x4 with a flatbed. 7.3 factory turbo motor, 4.10 gears, 4 in lift, e4od, big tranny coolers 38 gallon rear tank with bed tank for added distance. Type 4 cam and a nice so
Sound deadened interior with a set of centurian seats.

Id also want a gearvendors overdrive.

I currently have everything to build my dream truck except for gearvendors.

Let me know if you want a dually 4x4. I may haw an extra set of adapters soon.

Im stuck between a 2x4 and a 4x4. The 2wd trucks steer great and ride even better. But I also hate getti.g stuck if I have to pick something up offroad.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
4:10s and a turbo. I would also look for a 40-20-40- front seat from a 94-97 Fseries, those are comfy as hell, but not cheap

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one of those seats. Its alright but not my favorite. I've got a couple benchs from a 90 cc that are really comfy ad obsorb impacts well. Its to bad there red.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would say 92-94 F350 7.3 turbo (Moose'd of course-if you can afford it), Intercooled, Typ4 cam in frt of a built E4OD w\Bauminator trans controller, good towing convertor and the largest external cooler you can find, or a ZF-5 and a brownie box like RLDSL

I would study RSDSL's sig and ICANFIXALL's signature. Definitely two tow worthy rigs that are in it for the long haul. Man I want a brownie.;Really Oh yeah, Flexsteel seats are real nice on the buns:sly

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck will haul a 5th wheel or a heavy trailer. But when i hook up a 4-horse horsetrailer to it with one or two horses in it, (pull behind) i can hardly get it going 60, more like 55 and that is darn near floored. With these mods "icanfixall" is talking about to the motor, could i pull that trailer with two horses at 65? or could "mudkickr" pull a trailer at 65 or are these idi's always gonna pull slowly and surely. I guess im used to my 96 cummins pulling a horse trailer at 65 or 70 without much problem. Just curious :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online