broken brake bleeder screw removal

fischer1399

Reaction score
with all this wonderful michigan rust on a 25 yr old truck, i managed to snap 2 bleeder screws off after replacing the master cylinder. the screws were also soaked in PB blast and i heated up the surrounding area before trying to break them loose but just snapped with very little force. and i already tried to get the other 2 loose but they are gonna snap too.

does anyone have some advice on getting those 2 broken screws out and the other 2 unbroken screws? i could just replace the calipers but thats probably gonna be my last resort since its the most expensive path.

ive heard that i could just bleed them by cracking the brake line with the caliper removed and held with the line at the top and use a 2x4 to hold the pistons back and then just bleed like normal. but would that get all the air outta there?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try to remove each caliper and bleed them at the hose. Some folks say that if you orient the caliper so that the hose/new bleeder area is at the highest point you might have a better shot at getting all the air out

You could also try to drill out the old ones and chase the threads with a tap, but for my $25 each, I'd replace them both.

fischer1399

Reaction score
well i replaced the wheel cylinders on my drums since they were pretty cheap, like 10 bucks a piece at the local advance auto. and then i tried the way goodstuff mentioned and just removed the caliper and held it so the line was at the top and it seemed to get majority of the air out. the brakes are now alot better than they used to be but i think theres still a tiny bit of air in there. so i guess its time to replace calipers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online