Brand new instant swell glow plugs

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 9 bosch glow plugs laying around. I decided to test them. I used a 12v dual purpose battery. I connected the positive to the plugs terminal and the negative to the threads. It was glowing in 3 seconds flat so I disconnected it. As soon as I disconnected it, something sparked and went flying and the tip swelled.

Now I know it is common knowledge to only use motocraft, but are all other plugs really this bad?
Did I do something wrong? The battery is a little over charged, reading 13v.
I tried testing 2 plugs in series incase I was only supposed to apply 6v, but it barely worked the plugs.

I will only put the recommended motocraft plugs in, but it is still fun to experiment and question why.

These plugs have never been installed.

Edit: I tried to light up the swollen plug again. It wouldnt even get hot. Is it possible this plugs life was all of 3 seconds? Not even one whole cycle.

Attachments

• 1008161239.jpg
    1008161239.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Bosch glow plugs in my truck for quite a while and never had a problem. As a matter of fact, they seemed not to get quite as hot ans the Motorcraft/Berus. Now the Wellmans (DieselRx) glow plugs I tried, those were "instant swell in the head" plugs. At least one was-barely got it back out of the head after the first heat cycle.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried another one after this. It didnt swell but while cooling, it produced a tiny little ball of metal on the tip. The first one did the same way worse.

I hope I am not doing anything wrong because I want to test my motorcraft plugs when they show up.

FYI anyone looking for the motorcraft zd9 glow plugs I found them at Oreillys auto parts for ~11$ and walmart "site to store" for just under $10. Each store had to order them but would only take 2 days.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
3 seconds does seem a little short, but then you only had one glow plug connected.

When I glow the plugs in my truck, all eight of them suck the voltage down to about 8 volts! I've noticed this on the 6.9 & 7.3 IDIs and the 7.3 PSDs.

I expect that if you were to hook up all eight plugs and glow them, they wouldn't burn out so fast. If you do this test, keep an eye on the voltmeter to see what the voltage drop is.

To be fair, you should take one Beru glow plug and glow it. :)

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a reason they have the current regulating resistor on the controller. Don't test your new zd9's with a big battery. I use a small gell cell.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like an equivalent test. On my 6.9 I think there are two 10 gauge wires that feed 8 plugs in parallel. So you would need to test 4 on a 10 gauge wire at the same time. I think that would be one piece of 3 foot long 16 gauge to test one plug. Anyone think that would get warm?

Jasper, are those Oldsmobile slow glow plugs? I think that was what I ended up putting in mine. I should pull them just to see what they look like.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tested a Delphi glow plug I took out of my truck.it glowed for 20 minutes,never swelled.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah I think those Olds 5.7 used them too, I had them in my 6.2. Drove a few hours with them on. They still work.
One guy hooked one up to a battery and let it go a few days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A lot of people really like them. Especially in manual setups.
You won't find that on this forum though. Lol

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 seconds does seem a little short, but then you only had one glow plug connected.

When I glow the plugs in my truck, all eight of them suck the voltage down to about 8 volts! I've noticed this on the 6.9 & 7.3 IDIs and the 7.3 PSDs.

I expect that if you were to hook up all eight plugs and glow them, they wouldn't burn out so fast. If you do this test, keep an eye on the voltmeter to see what the voltage drop is.

To be fair, you should take one Beru glow plug and glow it. :)

There is a reason they have the current regulating resistor on the controller. Don't test your new zd9's with a big battery. I use a small gell cell.

This really what I was wondering. Having all 8 glowing at the same time through the controller might give me different results.

I only ordered 8, or else I would retry this test with a beru plug. Anyone want to mail me one to test under the same conditions?

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since that plug is the old style (has the spade connector) isn't that a 6v plug?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Does a manual switch bypass the voltage regulator in the controller?
Depends how you hook it up.
The way I do it is run a heavy duty relay straight from the battery.
So like that, yes.

But if you just add a switch to the stock controller, no.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726