Brakes (lost power assist, no warning light)

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Hey guys, on my way to work this morning my brakes lost power assist. I have no warning light on the dash. Any ideas on the best way to troubleshoot this thing? I was thinking I would disconnect the vacuum hose at the booster and see if I have vacuum there. The truck has the serp belt setup, and the belt is fine. The vacuum pump is turning fine.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Sounds like you lost vacuum - but in that case the brake light should have come on but it might be that the electrical connections are corroded or such on the vacuum sensor which caused it not to flip on the light... (just a thought)... The Enterprise would do what your describing when the vacuum pump started to go out then if I let it go long enough it would finally start to flip on the light...

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
hmmm, well what ever it is I hope its totally broke so Im not trying to figure it out for days. I can say that I have totally lost power assist, and it hasnt come back so far. (about 5 miles of driving) I guess I'll disconnect the vacuum hose and see if the light comes on. Then go from there.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Does your air conditioning switch settings? Sounds like vacuum to me. My little vacuum sensor is just rusted to crap so when i lost vacuum i got no lights. Could be the same situation. I could tell real easy what happen to me, my vacuum pump was dangling by the belt... :D

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
yaric008 said:
Does your air conditioning switch settings?

That was such a good idea I just ran out to check. Yes, all vacuum vent functions are working properly.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ok, I disconnected the vacuum hose at the brake booster, check valve and all. Hardly any vacuum getting to the booster. Also, after doing this the vents no longer switch between modes. There must have been enough vacuum in the system to operate dinky vents, but that all escaped after removing the hose.

I’ll disconnect it right at the pump and check there for good measure (far to greasy to do this in the work parking lot), but it looks like I’ll be buying a pump.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hey Rob you can bring it or I can go check it with You, I have a vacuum gauge. Also Autozone is the cheapest I know for VP around here I think $69.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
finished vac pump swap
the truck can now stop
not too much cash to drop
I even had time after to drink a pop

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
F350camper said:
finished vac pump swap
the truck can now stop
not too much cash to drop
I even had time after to drink a pop
Rob please STOP
(no pun intended) :D

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
GRuss said:
Rob please STOP
(no pun intended) :D

are you saying my thread is a flop?
The truck still runs like a top.
and I couldnt even do the work in my shop.
:D

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
you dont need as much vaccum for accesories as brakes you can check with a guage at the booster . usually if you start the truck and press the brakes the firstt shot is ok and goes down hill from there if it is the pump
check also for pierced vaccum lines i change mine recently and didnt look old the old one . change alot at work too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online