Brake problems

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on my 93 IDIT dually I have the sinking pedal problem, brake solid with engine off. Fairly new rear shoes, adjusted. Have replace master cylinder in past. bleed system. ABS light is on and off , more on. Solution? Replace RABS valve? bypass? Am trying to get this truck ready to sell. Would like to fix the problem right though.

Thanks

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Sounds like vacuum pump.

My "rear antilock" light comes and goes. Folks here say rear brakes need adjusting every few months but its been almost 2 years since they have been touched and braking seems fine.

The rear brakes like to lock up at verly low speed only when I first start out driving, before they get warmed up. After just a couple minutes, they are fine.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is what I have done to it. bypassed the Rabs hyd valve. no change. tried a value off of a dead truck , nope, put a new booster and mastercylinder and have bleed the brakes until all was clear. Adjusted rears. Nothing has changed the pedal drift. Only thing have gained is the ABS light is no longer on.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What about the hydraulic hoses? Maybe they are ballooning under pressure.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randy I would build a brake pressure tester out of some brake hose and a high psi hydraulic gauge. You can screw in your gauge in place of each brake hose and test what’s getting pressure when. It could be the are getting pressure much later than your fronts which is causing the sinking pedal, I fixed this same issue with my 93, fix ended up being a different brand master cylinder and an adjustment on the rod to take up some slack in the pedal box.

gfemling

Reaction score
“The rear brakes like to lock up at very low speed only when I first start out driving, before they get warmed up. After just a couple minutes, they are fine.“
Curious what “experts” here know about this- I have same but after first few events all works fine. Usually more apparent with trailer and marginal traction- like wet pavement. Suspecting rear tires require a minimum amount of traction friction to break the rear brakes loose again when RABS valve opens but no idea if this is right? Others thoughts?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everything works fine after the first events then Id say look into replacing the shoes. Contaminated shoes (from leaking wheel cylinders) will act this way

gfemling

Reaction score
Pulled rear brake drums and linings not contaminated so thanks for the suggestion but not the problem here.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although have not tried it yet on mine, I am thinking of getting some plugs to put in the mastercylinder to confirm good no good on that even though it is new.