Brake caliper rattle.....it's BAAAAACK

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1985 F250 4x4 RCLB T19, has the old-school calipers. Bought it two years ago and both brake calipers were rattling in the brackets. Not the pads, mind you, but the calipers themselves. There's a curved "spring" that sits between the caliper and the slider thingy that holds it, that keeps it "snug". Works almost like a leaf spring. They lose their arch and get compressed, and that allows the caliper to move. So I bought a pair of these kits: http://www.rockauto.com/info/Raybestos/505529-1.jpg . It's the part in the middle of the pic that's in play here. Installed the kits, cleaned everything up, lubed the sliding bits with the appropriate dope, and the rattle went away. Been just fine up until a few days ago, and now one side is doing the exact same thing again. I can move the caliper within the bracket with my hand. Thing is, this is a VERY occasional-use vehicle. Haven't been tracking, but I'll bet I haven't driven the truck more than 300 miles in all that time. So ***, why would this be happening again already? The parts are Raybestos, should be a good brand.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the caliper or the slides on the axle worn out and the spring just cannot do it correctly?

Just saying...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that crossed my mind. But it seems it would've been loose right away with the new hardware kit, if that were the case, no?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I had this for over 30 years on my chevy 1 ton rig. Never found out why this was happening so I will be watching this for answers.