Freightliner Non-CDL rear disk brake caliper bolts stuck

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title kinda says it all... have a Freightliner non-CDL(26,000lb) 4-wheel disk truck that needs new rear caliper, rotor, etc. But I cannot get the caliper bolts off to save my life-- they are 18mm for God knows what reason but there's no access for an impact and I can't keep a wrench on them. Would they have red threadlocker on them from the factory? Even if they did, how would you heat them up without destroying the boot?

I know I can cut them but then I still have the bolt stuck in the caliper bracket. What do pros do? @Nero

Thanks all,
-Joshua

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Some do come with red lock tite on them, there's been 3 vehicles out of the hundreds I've done where I had to use a lift, rest a ratchet handle on a floor jack, then lower it down, using the weight of the vehicle to break it loose.
But that is pretty uncommon. Usually due to access I've always used a 1/2 drive ratchet that has a 3ft handle and then just muscle it off. Leverage is key. Chances are it's torqued to 200-300ftlbs. I assume a light duty m2 chassis?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, you're the man! Thank you. That is a CRAZY amount of torque for an 18mm head. -Lame
Yes it's a light M2. I'm not sure how light, pretty sure it's a "normal" class B M2 with smaller/lighter axles and tires. It's our only non-cdl shred truck, most of the others are CDL M2's of various types.
I also forgot to mention the year, I think 2019. Forgot to check.
If only I had a lift... but great way to leverage. I was thinking if red thread locker I could run a small weld bead outside where the threads would be on the caliper bracket to weaken that junk. Would also expand the area around the bolt.

I ran out of time or I would have done the breaker bar thing, it took me so long to find the right size socket in the mish-mash of tools we have where this thing is parked that I ran out of time.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Another thing I've done, when bolts reeeaally aren't wanting to play along, chain binder bars work as an EXCELLENT cheater bar extension. If you don't have one of them, a floor jack handle that fits over a ratchet also works. Just remember, the longer the bar, the easier it is to break loose, no welding to make it softer necessary.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know where I could find the bearing torque/preload specs along with the outer hub nut torque?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I busted the top one loose! It's all about having the right tool...18mm end wrench with another wrench for more leverage. No space for 1/2" socket hardware.

1FVACWFD8LV8949

And while you're in there I'd love to know the book hours on rotor/pad/caliper replacement and reinstall, if possible.

Thanks again, @Nero !

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yourre 2 digits short of a Vin my guy

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Caliper bolt torque for bendix air brake is 285 ftlbs
As for the hub, here's a photo.

You must be registered for see images attach

It also depends if it has a standard race bearing, or a preload bearing, these specs are assuming it's a standard bearing style, where you set your preload then re-adjust the adjustment nut to allow .003 - .005 hub play.

I scrolled down further, they actually have directions for setting bearing play lol

You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These bearings had a pipe like spacer between them. The inner nut was very, very tight, around 200ft pounds when I took it apart. Not like a standard bearing setup I'm used to. More like a pinion bearing and crush sleeve but this doesn't crush.
I torqued the inner nut to 250 rotating the hub, and it spins great. The bearings aren't squished, spins as good as the front hubs on my F250! I don't have a way to measure hub play here, doh.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Those are presets, you torque them once and it's set. The cone is a one time use and needs to be replaced each time.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know how many hours this is supposed to take by the book? I'm just curious as it was a solid job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online