Borg Warner 1356 tranfer case gear shift

jazqa87

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 1991 F-250 7.3IDI and i have a problem when i let my leg out of gas pedal / start coasting, after that my tranfer case gear shifter starts to knock / pop like missing a tooth or something like that.
Doing this on 2wd and 4HI..
If someone knows what the problem could be, please comment on this.. Sorry my bad english, i am from Finland..

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you check the oil level. These things like to start leaking and when they get low on oil, some little plastic pieces inside like to melt. Never had one apart, but I see a lot of posts on this problem. If it's low on oil, maybe that will fix it.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youtube has lots videos on rebuilding the BW 1356.
Sounds like your pump has broken free and is spinning inside causing no oil going where it should.
Start looking there and then you get to take yours apart.
Best of luck!

jazqa87

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.
The oil pump bracket was broken and the plastic fork guides had melted on the rangefork.
I also noticed that the sprockets had some scratches / pitting on it and i think that the chain was loose and it has caused the deep scratches on the sprockets.
I have ordered a new oilpump kit with bracket, rangefork with plastic guides, chain, driven sprocket and overhaul kit to my BW.
Only thing what i havent found is DRIVE SPROCKET, could anyone help me to find that sprocket on somewhere?
Would it be possible to get a part from a scrap yard, for example? If you can't get a new part from anywhere. Thanks!
I am asking this, because it’s hard to me find that part, we dont have those parts in here Finland.

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
I don't know about international shipping, but there are 2 on eBay. It also list it as being the same on a BW1370, and BW4401. Lists part number as # E7TZ-7177A