Boost and EGT

alfaguy

Reaction score
I finished my Banks Sidewinder turbo install today. :thumbsup: I've only driven it about 15 miles but the EGTs don't get over 300*F but it makes 9 pounds of boost. EGT seems low to me. Any Thoughts?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Where is the sending unit located? 15 miles is not much but boost and egt's will increase almost at the same time. Does the gauge needle move at all?

94Turbo

Reaction score
Pyro must be in the downpipe, put it before the turbo closer to the manifold to get a true reading. Like Fred said probably about 800 on acceleration and just under 600 once it levels out at highway speed .

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I remember there was a post about this a few weeks ago,you may want to search, they postedhow to test them if i recall correctly but good info anyway.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Check the connections on the pyro probe - on a pyrometer you must have good clean tight connections or all bets are off...

If your pyro probe was like mine (installs in the cast piece) then it's PRE-Turbo like it should be, and you should be seeing higher temps.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be seeing higher temps, but if it is the down pipe near the bend to the rest of the exhaust you will be seeing around 200 lower than in the exhaust manifold. My preference is to install in the d/side exhaust manifold close to an exhaust port. That will give you a more accurate reading. If you do decide to relocate remember you do not want metal chips in your turbo,

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont worry about that gauge just yet.

Have you turned the pump up yet?
My pyro is in the elbow directly before the turbo and until I bumped up my pump timing my gauge was reading really low just like yours.
I bought a new gauge and saw the same temps so dont waste your money on a gauge just yet.
Turn up the pump a bit and see how the pyro changes with it. ;Sweet You will see more boost with more pump timing also. :Sly You will feel the extra power in the seat after your pump is adjusted more. I had to bump it 2 times. I first adjusted my pump to banks suggestions and then went back in and bumped it again because I had more room to grow.

I am seeing up to 850 degrees when pulling a trailer up a hill now and when I am accellerating onto the highway up the ramp full tilt I see the pyro jump up to 500-650 degrees.
Turn it up ;Sweet
Eric

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online