BOOB power tour

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but don't forget the 3 - 5 *** breaks, that always murders our time when we go somewhere. And it's not just them haha

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did a little bit of checking on the Royal Gorge campground last night. I had forgotten that Texas Creek is close by. That is supposed to be a good place to ride ATVs and I haven't been there yet. I just thought that I'd throw this out here too.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you guys do to make your trucks "highway worthy" like 65-70 mph for long periods of time across states without worrying about something breaking. sorry to get off topic but i dont feel like making a whole new thread just to only get a few replies

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you guys do to make your trucks "highway worthy" like 65-70 mph for long periods of time across states without worrying about something breaking. sorry to get off topic but i dont feel like making a whole new thread just to only get a few replies
A thorough inspection, checking every nook and cranny for loose bolts, damaged wires, worn components, etc. Then carrying basic tools to do roadside repairs if needed.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I went through about every nut and bolt on mine with the end goal of being able to drive across country if I wanted to. There’s no such thing as not worrying when you are driving a 30 year old or 3 year old vehicle long distances. So I carry tool proportionate to how far I’m going and then keep my AAA membership up to date. Travel together when I can reasonably. Between us, I’ve seen about any tool or part needed to make one of these trucks run.

So the short answer from me is you don’t. You do the common sense things and you roll with the punches.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went through about every nut and bolt on mine with the end goal of being able to drive across country if I wanted to. There’s no such thing as not worrying when you are driving a 30 year old or 3 year old vehicle long distances. So I carry tool proportionate to how far I’m going and then keep my AAA membership up to date. Travel together when I can reasonably. Between us, I’ve seen about any tool or part needed to make one of these trucks run.

So the short answer from me is you don’t. You do the common sense things and you roll with the punches.
Laser is not joking when he says every nut and bolt haha

If any of my vehicles have no issues that I'm aware (including funny noises and failing visual inspection checks) , are able to self control their fluid temperatures.. Then I'm not worried if it's 1 hour or 6 hours, cross country.

My only concern on long trips is debri causing a flat tire and I carry plugs and a compressor and basic tools. Cross country I would carry a full size spare.

If you drive your vehicle around town, up to 55mph on local roads often.. The bugs will be worked out.

If you never drive it and then take it on a long trip you can be asking for trouble.

My truck was hacked together over 30 years. I tried to drive it an hour day 1 - blew return o ring and pulled dipstick tube out of case

Try number 1.5 - two hour round trip, fan clutch dead

Try number two - fried vacuum pump relay

Try number three - frozen caliper

Try number four - drove it an hour to my new garage no issues.

It's now in alot of pieces but that's unrelated to the story.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first rally was fun. I got the truck together. Made the trip to pick up the new camper. On the next trip it broke a rocker arm bolt,bent a pushrod and got towed home 100 miles (just the empty truck luckily). New bolt and pushrod and we went 600 + miles to KY (truck and new camper) with the intake valves smashing into the pistons (I found out later). Truck floated a valve going up the last mountain going into Morgantown WV so I drove the rest of the way there and back trying to stay under 2k rpm. The sound of the piston hammering the intake valve into the head on a new engine is not what you want to hear. Changed a starter while I was there. Came home and parked the truck for a couple weeks before tearing it down, pulling the engine and shipping it back to promar.

So yeah, rally’s are always an adventure! Somebody has always just got their truck together last minute. That rally we spent a lot of time fixing AC systems because it was HOT.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today, I was thinking about this trip/tour. I realized that there hasn't been much response from the western members. I wonder if any of them are planning to try to make it?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against the idea however I cannot make any promises as of yet. Depends on location, time and condition of my truck at the time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Right now, it's looking like it'll be at the Royal Gorge campground in Colorado. It's a few miles west of Canon City.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online