BOOB power tour

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had an idea about a traveling BOOB camping/roadtrip to allow us to reach a further rally destination as a group.

The title of this thread was stolen from @laserjock summation of my idea. Seems the most fitting/accurate.

I was looking at the 2020 rally thread and one of the suggestions was Yellowstone. There was some further thoughts expressed about that, mainly the distance from the east coast, and I had an idea.

Why not plan a trip for a Rally that encompasses a multi day drive to and from the destination. And do it as a convoy picking up Oilburners along the way.

So my idea. Make it a 2 week trip. 3-4 days out and back each. Destination? Yellowstone, Moab/Arches, Colorado, Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore? There are plenty of potential destinations.

There could be East and west coast convoys. Kind of a potential "mega rally"

So open to ideas, opinions or anything related to trip planning, locations, whatever.

Lets open the conversation and see where we end up.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dig it. I would like to tag along for a length if possible with my schedule, if y’all wanted to pass through Texas I have a few RV hookups at the shop and plenty of space for everyone.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be awesome I’m about two hours from Yellowstone. And a couple hours from Mount Rushmore. There’s a lot of cool places out this way and I would totally jump in that convoy for a few days.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
National Lampoon's vacation but with trucks! Lol
I'd love to be able to do something like this someday, but I will need a bigger fuel tank! Stopping every 3 hrs for fuel is annoying.

I'm in the same position. New truck only holds 25 gallons. That's fine for just driving but not for towing.

I've got a 100 gallon aluminum transfer flow tank I might try to adapt to the Nissan.

Transfer flow themselves don't have anything but I can rig up a pump controller.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
This is very, very interesting. Might take a while to plan but it could be epic.

What do you think @F350camper ?

I think this has a lot of potential to be something pretty cool. It would be a great way to catch up with members all over. People could run all, some or none of the tour, and still drop in at some lunch spot to hang out for a couple hours.
Could be a neat tradition.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this has a lot of potential to be something pretty cool. It would be a great way to catch up with members all over. People could run all, some or none of the tour, and still drop in at some lunch spot to hang out for a couple hours.
Could be a neat tradition.

Maybe it could be an every 3 or so years thing?

If we could work it in through the 4th holiday, that would be fewer vacation days.

Regardless, I think this concept has merit and is worth discussion.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So lets discuss. I was just trying to formulate how it would be possible to go further and still have the feel of a rally. Focusing on the convoy, or at least the pre-determined stops would afford the ability to travel with the group or the freedom to do your own that day and meet at the campground every evening.

Me personally, I'm not ready to undertake a cross country trip unsupported or solo at this point. The biggest positive thing I can see is moving the focus to the journey somewhat as opposed to almost all of it being the destination. Also taking smaller bites per day of travel.

And as ya'll already brought up the chance to see a broader group of BOOBs who maybe can't find the time to make it to a rally that isn't nearby.

So, what else are ya'll thinking?

Maybe campground recommendations from the local BOOBs in areas we're passing through?

Destinations? Would more than one major destination be overcomplicating things? Or could we do both Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone for example?

Make the round trip more like a circle on the map?

I'll stop now.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
National Lampoon's vacation but with trucks! Lol
I'd love to be able to do something like this someday, but I will need a bigger fuel tank! Stopping every 3 hrs for fuel is annoying.

i wish i could stay on the road for 3 hrs lol, my kids each have to go at a random time. i am lucky to get 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a shot on the road.......i am seriously looking at an RV so they can just go when they want and i keep on trucking!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
So lets discuss. I was just trying to formulate how it would be possible to go further and still have the feel of a rally. Focusing on the convoy, or at least the pre-determined stops would afford the ability to travel with the group or the freedom to do your own that day and meet at the campground every evening.

Me personally, I'm not ready to undertake a cross country trip unsupported or solo at this point. The biggest positive thing I can see is moving the focus to the journey somewhat as opposed to almost all of it being the destination. Also taking smaller bites per day of travel.

And as ya'll already brought up the chance to see a broader group of BOOBs who maybe can't find the time to make it to a rally that isn't nearby.

So, what else are ya'll thinking?

Maybe campground recommendations from the local BOOBs in areas we're passing through?

Destinations? Would more than one major destination be overcomplicating things? Or could we do both Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone for example?

I'll stop now.

I really like the way you are thinking. this is something I have been considering for years but would be a serious commitment.

my thoughts (they are worth what you paid for them LOL) I believe we are going to have to keep it family friendly and easy for anyone to join. Whoever is organizing this hair brain scheme ;Pokeshould probably try to line up the places to stop along a basic pre planned route. If people know we will be here at this date to this date they can make plans to join us for an afternoon or several days whatever works for them.

I will admit I am not sure what speed would be best. Six to eight hours a day on the road with single overnights or to get there faster or make about the journey and stay 2-3 days at each location. You want an easier pace for people to enjoy but it could be ******* people constantly setting up and breaking down.

Usually we need a test dummy :idiot:to make the run ahead of time to scope out the pros and cons. I know we made a LONG day of visiting campgrounds both times I helped host. Not to many campgrounds are well set up to handle a group like us. i am still liking the idea of something like this!

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im interested, this will need lots of planning and communication. I think with families, overnight stops are out. We will need a couple of days to enjoy each place otherwise it's going to be nothing more than a long car ride for the kids.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im interested, this will need lots of planning and communication. I think with families, overnight stops are out. We will need a couple of days to enjoy each place otherwise it's going to be nothing more than a long car ride for the kids.
Agreed. I think it would have to be 2 night minimum. Maybe 3 in some places. Pull in day 1. Go do something day 2. Pull out Day 3. It certainly is a different style camping. You don’t “setup camp” so much. It probably wouldn’t be the laid back pace we’ve gotten used to but I think it could really be an epic change up.

So if you do that math. About 300-400 miles is probably all you’re going to want to do at a stretch is my guess. 14 days off the top of my head gets you around a 2100- 3000 mile round trip. That gets me to CO and back if memory serves or pretty close.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please clue me in..

What's a BOOB?

Brotherhood Of Oil Burners?

( The other meaning for me is not a hot topic of discussion here ).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01