Blue Smoke Question

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1990 Ford F350 IDI non-turbo ZF5 tranny with 150,000 miles and it runs great with no blowback:thumbsup: It does have blue smoke on first start up when backpressure occurs, and when you release the clutch to shift gears. Is this a bad CDR, injector or glow plugs or all of the above? Please let me know what you guys think and what parts I will need to correct.

Also any thoughts on adding the ATS Turbo setup - pros - cons - best deal?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and the world of the IDI. ;Sweet At 150K on the clock, if any of that fuel system is original, figure on replacing it. It's pretty worn out. See the fuel system servicing article in our tech section.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is puffing smoke only when you make throttle changes - giving it more or backing off - it may be timed too slow. Mine was timed 10 degrees too slow and that was the main symptom. Every time I'd put my foot in it OR back off the throttle quickly, it would blow a puff of smoke. As long as the throttle was held steady - like cruising on the highway - no smoke - get on it or off it and it would blow a big puff.

Just one more suggestion....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...well you'd be better off getting with one of these guys who has teh tools, buying your own tools, or taking it to a competent injection shop. These engines are pretty sensitive to timing, and many people have theirs timed too far retarded. But if you time it to far advanced you can actually damage glow plugs and in severe cases the motor itself. You want to time it to 1.5*ATDC at 1400rpm with the luminosity method or 8.5*BTDC with the pulse method at 2000 rpm. Timing by ear can be effective, but only for those who either have a known correctly timed IDI to compare it to or years of experience working with IDI engines and know what they should sound like. If you are a new IDI guy and get it right by ear you got really lucky.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...well you'd be better off getting with one of these guys who has teh tools, buying your own tools, or taking it to a competent injection shop. These engines are pretty sensitive to timing, and many people have theirs timed too far retarded. But if you time it to far advanced you can actually damage glow plugs and in severe cases the motor itself. You want to time it to 1.5*ATDC at 1400rpm with the luminosity method or 8.5*BTDC with the pulse method at 2000 rpm. Timing by ear can be effective, but only for those who either have a known correctly timed IDI to compare it to or years of experience working with IDI engines and know what they should sound like. If you are a new IDI guy and get it right by ear you got really lucky.

Or you have someone send you sound clips of one that's timed right - one with the cold start advance on and one with it off.

That's what I did, then when I adjusted mine by ear with the sound clips as something to compare to, I got mine set to 10* BTDC at 2000 RPMs by ear (measured with a pulse adapter & light). Since the spec says 8.5* +/- 2* I figured I did pretty good......

While its true that you can damage your motor if you advance it too far, you have to advance it WAY to far and leave it like that before you're likely to do any real damage.

Obvioulsy if you can get with someone with the tools, or get your own that's the best, but setting it by ear is something that can be done safely....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right...I don't know his level of experience or access to any properly running IDIs or sound clips...so just wanted to give fair warning. I would say you did good to get it that close by ear...wouldn't hurt anything I'm sure. I had mine a degree or 2 too far advanced before I got my lumy adapter for a long time... and it didn't seem to hurt anything.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Or you have someone send you sound clips of one that's timed right - one with the cold start advance on and one with it off.

That's what I did, then when I adjusted mine by ear with the sound clips as something to compare to, I got mine set to 10* BTDC at 2000 RPMs by ear (measured with a pulse adapter & light). Since the spec says 8.5* +/- 2* I figured I did pretty good......
Anyone willing to do this for me? I've got a new IP in the mail and want to make sure she's timed up right when I get it on. Talked to the local Ford dealer and he gave me the deer in the headlights look when I asked him and I would have to drive about an hour for a diesel shop that would probably have the timing equipment.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone willing to do this for me? I've got a new IP in the mail and want to make sure she's timed up right when I get it on. Talked to the local Ford dealer and he gave me the deer in the headlights look when I asked him and I would have to drive about an hour for a diesel shop that would probably have the timing equipment.
I'd be happy to - if we didn't live a couple of thousand miles apart!

What I can do is pass along the two sound clips that another member was kind enough to make and send me. PM me your email address and I'll dig 'em up and send 'em off. May take a couple of days since I'm headed out the door for a weekend camping trip with my boy's Cub Scout pack, but I should be able to get 'em to ya' by Monday....

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I'd be happy to - if we didn't live a couple of thousand miles apart!

What I can do is pass along the two sound clips that another member was kind enough to make and send me. PM me your email address and I'll dig 'em up and send 'em off. May take a couple of days since I'm headed out the door for a weekend camping trip with my boy's Cub Scout pack, but I should be able to get 'em to ya' by Monday....

Yeah I meant send some sound clips, not time it up for me LOL

You've got a pm