You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And thanks for allowing me to take on your project, looking forward to getting acquainted with your 88 once it gets here, here’s a little before and after picture from when the engine got picked up to how it looks now, gonna look even better with some pretty intake and intercooler piping ;Sweet

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, turbo is off and getting the hot side coated to match the R&D kit. Got all the valve cover spacers blasted and coated, then installed with fresh gaskets and hardware. Got the water pump on just needs to pick up bolts and I can pressure test the cooling system before adding the water lines for the turbo.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blake brought over his 88 for the engine install and some other work, today I got it pressure washed and cleaned up.

I wire wheeled a little rust around the clearanced firewall, hit it with some primer and put insulation on the dry section of firewall

Got the turbo together with the coated housing, and got my fittings in to measure for my water lines for the turbo, and to figure out the intake.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were concerned that 4” off the turbo inlet wouldn’t fit with the injection lines in place, but using a tight radius aluminum bend and spectre boot it just barely fits. Only problem I could see was the engine lift hook is too close to the turbo, so I am going to run this hook on the passenger side and put another rear hook on cylinder #2 since we won’t be running the filter braket anyways.

blakpete91

Reaction score
Man that intake tube is massive! Great work as always Wes. Thanks for the update! Any turbo bigger than this one would really start to be a PITA with trying to make it fit around all the stock parts.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man that intake tube is massive! Great work as always Wes. Thanks for the update! Any turbo bigger than this one would really start to be a PITA with trying to make it fit around all the stock parts.
Funny you mention that, out of curiosity I test fit my GT4598 I had on the shop truck and although it will bolt on there’s no way to get an air filter on the 5” inlet, or to fit an intake pipe into a modified stock intake manifold. Pretty much as big as you can go on the R&D kit seems to be GT40 and S400 frame turbos, but for most idis that will move them down the road alright

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worked out an oil restrictor size for this turbo, went by the recomendation of a friend who has done work with precision turbo and engineering for garrett. Since these engines can run pretty high cold oil pressure but very low hot idle pressure it was a bit of a compromise, Ill be running an inline gauge off the -3 feed past the restrictor and monitoring oil pressure to the turbo and adjusting the restrictor if needed.

With the oil feed sorted for now, I started working on the oil drain setup. The RnD kit comes with this oil drain flange on the left, which chokes down to a pretty small inside diameter even for the s300 frame turbos I believe this kit is mostly designed for. I dug around and found a billet flange I had with a 1/2" npt outlet for a larger barb.

I needed to clock the turbo about 15* to get it to line up with the valley drain fitting without having kinks in the drain hose, and glued the fitting in per the instructions and let it set overnight. Well that didnt work out, the piece with the jb welded in fitting that comes with the kit popped out of the valley pan overnight so I decided to ditch the included oil drain design all together and work something better out. Im sure this works fine for the smaller journal bearing s300 turbos, just not with our application.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So using some fittings I had on hand I started mocking up a good drain with all AN style fittings. I replaced the barb with a -10 to 1/2" straight, and got a 45* swivel fitting off it to aimed straight down into the valley. Doing this allowed me to have the turbo straight up an down as well.

My plan is to use a 1/2" to -10 45* fitting straight off the drain flange and use a 45* fitting off the valley fitting for a nice short braided stainless drain with no hose or clamps. Ill be using a similar valley drain block off plug that comes with felpro valley pans, and tigging a -10 bung into it. Just stainless not alluminum like pictured here.

With my parts ordered for the drain I moved onto the rest of the turbo plumbing, doing some research last week I found ATP makes some really nice banjo style extension fittings for the water ports with an allen cap, so I ordered a set of those in -6 and built the water lines, the extension fittings made them lines much cleaners without any bends flopping around the top of the engine.

I plan on adding an inline pressure gauge on the inlet side of the coolant port so that can easily be monitored.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next I built the downpipe, pretty simple I just cut up a diamondeye obs powerstroke downpipe and made it work for the gt4088, threw a nice stainless clamp on it and wrapped the downpipe with some dei lava wrap.

After that I started planning the intercooler piping, I'm thinking I'll run 2.5" off the hotside of the turbo since its going to be pretty tight in there with the ac and 4" intake tube, and run 3" off the cold side into my 3" v band intake manifold.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good @Thewespaul ! One question I have is when I put my GT3788R on my engine I recall a paper that came with the turbo saying that for the water cooling to work as designed that the outlet needed to be higher than the inlet. I can't remember the exact angle they wanted, but I think it was like 15 degrees or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn’t see any mention of that here and not sure that it would be possible to achieve with this turbo kit which places the T4 flange vertically. I’ll do some research and take a look at it, thanks for letting me know.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember it being in there. I was able to **** mine on the hypermax mount. I think I have a picture somewhere. I used the front for the inlet and rear for the outlet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the turbo had already been unboxed when I picked up the parts so I didn’t get the paper work, I see how you have yours setup and makes sense, I’ll see how much room there is when I get the new oil drain parts in. With the larger frame turbo each hole slot on the turbine moves it quite a bit, so it’s kinda a compromise between good up and down draining with the bearing cartridge and good coolant flow, but I’ll figure something out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online