Best gaskets and bearings.

Bakersk896

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I’m working on the ‘72 and I’m sourcing parts out. What are your experiences with the different gasket and bearing manufacturers? I’m going with 6.9 head gaskets on the 7.3 btw.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I prefer Fel-Pro gaskets. As for bearings, I'm not real particular just so they are a name brand like Clevite.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clevite, Sealed Power, Federal-Mogul, Fel-pro, Victor. Don't know how much engine building you have done, I strong recommend not using engine assemble grease on the bearing but rather assembly lube is much better.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When I put mine back together about 1 1/2 years back, I used the assembly grease. I got too much on the rod bearings and actually couldn't turn the engine over with the rod caps torqued down to spec. It came down to one rod. I loosened the cap up, just snugged the nuts down, and turned the engine over 10 or 12 times to work some of the grease out. Then I torqued the cap to spec and did it again. It still turned over harder than I really liked, but it still turned over so I went ahead with the reassembly. I'd never had that happen before. It did worry me for a short time, but it worked out good in the end.:cheers:

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put mine back together about 1 1/2 years back, I used the assembly grease. I got too much on the rod bearings and actually couldn't turn the engine over with the rod caps torqued down to spec. It came down to one rod. I loosened the cap up, just snugged the nuts down, and turned the engine over 10 or 12 times to work some of the grease out. Then I torqued the cap to spec and did it again. It still turned over harder than I really liked, but it still turned over so I went ahead with the reassembly. I'd never had that happen before. It did worry me for a short time, but it worked out good in the end.:cheers:
The thing about the grease is if you happen to by any chance get any dirt /grit in there you don't see it , where as with the lube you can. You don't know how many times saw this at my dads machine shop . Guys put them together had problem and bought them to us only to find the bearings and shaft all scarred up. Lube is so much better.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have .001 under Federal Mogul rod bearings available if you are using a standard crank. After polishing these can get a little looser than I like.

Bakersk896

Reaction score
Is there any particular specs for plastigauge or thrust bearing gap for these motors? I haven’t picked up a tech manual yet. And I’ve done many many engine builds and this one will be much easier.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would assume about .001 to .003 like other engines. I may be wrong on that one.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desired clearance on connecting rods, 0.0011-0.0036 mains 0.0018-0.0036 although allowed on mains is 0.0018-0.0046, crankshaft endplay 0.0025-0.0085. Plastigauge reading needs to be without any oil other wise it will give a false reading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online