Best aftermarket differential covers?

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I changed the oil in both of mine by swapping to a D60 lol!
The manual indicates the oil is drained with a suction gun... drilling it will work but will get your drill nasty...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You could drill the front diff and you could also put a drain plug into your stock rear diiff cover. I did this one time to a 460 oil pan in a 75 F250. It had a car pan and only had just enough room between the pan and crossmember to pull the plug out. While I had the pan off, I bought a 1/2 fine thread nut and short bolt. I drilled a hole in the pan where I wanted the drain, welded the nut to the pan, and used a 1/2" drain plug gasket on the bolt. It didn't leak and worked great. As long as your bolt isn't much longer than the hut is deep, you won't have any issues since the nut is on the outside of the cover.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey I did that once except I did it in the car. Interesting little flash fire (whomp!)in the crankcase but I got a nut brazed on the outside of the pan and oil tight. My Mom’s 66 LTD...son has it now, still holding oil!

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
The reason I drill and tap the housing is to get it in the very lowest spot so all the crap comes out. Course if you use a lubelocker gasket you can just pop the cover off and check for metal and bearing play. 9 times out of 10 if loose bearings are caught all it takes is bearings to fix it. Let go then ring and pinion and housing are in jeopardy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I confess, I didn't find it with a half hearted look. Where's this "oddly located stock fill port" you speak of?

Just figured I'd post a picture of it since I was under the truck tonight. I'm sure you're done with it by now but in case someone digs this up later.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crane High Clearance. They make cast chromoly covers [emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARB diff cover in the front and the stock Ford finned cover in the rear.

ARB cover because it's a wonderfully machined piece of gear, cast iron just like the pumpkin, and adds some substantial rigidity to the front diff. If you have a d60. D50 I wouldn't worry about it, if it has a diff cover.

Stock rear finned cover or wait for the Banks cover if you aren't going to see any off roading. Look at the video for the AAM 11.5 cover, it has some big ol' air scoops on it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online