Best aftermarket differential covers?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to service both diffs on Raylan('94 f250 4x4) before we head down to Florida for the winter. It'd sure be nice to have drain/fill plugs for future ease of service. Any suggestions or reccommendations on some good aftermarket covers that won't break the bank?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but use the stock aluminum cover for the... 2008? I'll see if I can dig up the links later.

Have you watched the Banks videos on differential covers yet?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep that sums it up. run a ford diff cover and never look back. $75 worth of parts for a diff cover that will never rust out, and cools better than factory, but still is a oem ford part

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep that sums it up. run a ford diff cover and never look back. $75 worth of parts for a diff cover that will never rust out, and cools better than factory, but still is a oem ford part

It'd be really nice to have fill and drain plugs.
Guess you could do the Dana 35 differential cover plug...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'd be really nice to have fill and drain plugs.
Guess you could do the Dana 35 differential cover plug...

I thought about that too. Next best thing was brought up, to drill and tap the bottom of the diff for an NPT plug. You'd have to use the oddly located stock fill port, but you'd have a drain as well.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about that too. Next best thing was brought up, to drill and tap the bottom of the diff for an NPT plug. You'd have to use the oddly located stock fill port, but you'd have a drain as well.

I confess, I didn't find it with a half hearted look. Where's this "oddly located stock fill port" you speak of? And what about one for the D-50?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I confess, I didn't find it with a half hearted look. Where's this "oddly located stock fill port" you speak of? And what about one for the D-50?

Don't feel like crawling in the mud or I'd snap a picture. Crawl under the drivers side in front of the axle. There's a rib that kinda goes from the pinion to the axle tube, should be right... above that I think? 3/8 drive square plug like you put a ratchet or extention into.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies for not answering that part. I do not know. I ""think"" the D50 uses the same cover as the D60 which would mean there are plenty but don't take my word for it unless someone else confirms it.

GraemeDiesel

Reaction score
I don’t think the d50 has a removable cover like the 60 does. I remember years ago when I wanted to change the front dif oil in my 96 F250 I bought a plug with a magnet and I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the diff.