bed supports

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 OBS failed safety inspection.... radiator support (on order from LMC truck) and bed supports rotted away. Are there any sources for the bed supports, or dimensional steel that I can weld in? One of the supports has a hole in it and needs to be replaced/patched. Thanks.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMC would be another source. You might also consider simply measuring each of your existing supports and then buy actual square tubing. Kits are nice because they include proper size supports and new fasteners however the square tubing will be much stronger and likely less expensive. I bought a kit on line for my super duty and it worked out great.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
You mean frame brackets that support the bed, or rhe bed's own channel structure?

The bed is superficial. Just fill/cover with new/used metal. You can have a roadworthy truck with bare frame rails and mudflaps/lights.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMC would be another source. You might also consider simply measuring each of your existing supports and then buy actual square tubing. Kits are nice because they include proper size supports and new fasteners however the square tubing will be much stronger and likely less expensive. I bought a kit on line for my super duty and it worked out great.
LMC does not have anything

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean frame brackets that support the bed, or rhe bed's own channel structure?

The bed is superficial. Just fill/cover with new/used metal. You can have a roadworthy truck with bare frame rails and mudflaps/lights.
The bed channels parallel to the truck frame.

Failed inspection here in PA for that and the radiator support (which is toast and on order from LMC)

I'm actually looking into getting "antique" tags for the truck. In PA, any vehicle 25 years or older can have "antique" tags with no annual registration or inspection.

Last edited:

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't you referring to the channels that run perpendicular to the frame rails? You are correct about the antique plates in PA, I currently have three vehicles with them. Plates are a one time purchase (no annual renewal) and eliminate annual safety inspection.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick search on the internet, appears there's a vendor on eBay selling them. It's a 5-piece kit designed for 1980 thru 1997. Vendor name: classicparts4u. eBay item number: 403798811668.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't you referring to the channels that run perpendicular to the frame rails? You are correct about the antique plates in PA, I currently have three vehicles with them. Plates are a one time purchase (no annual renewal) and eliminate annual safety inspection.
Florida doesn't have inspection, but I'm totally jealous about the non renewal. My newest vehicle is 1990.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not all "beer & pretzels", there's an annual mileage limitation.. I think it's just 2500 miles and you're not supposed to use it for every day transportation. Still, it's an affordable way to keep older vehicles around and on the road.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not all "beer & pretzels", there's an annual mileage limitation.. I think it's just 2500 miles and you're not supposed to use it for every day transportation. Still, it's an affordable way to keep older vehicles around and on the road.
Lol, dang, it sounded good at least. Just keep @ 6-10 running old cars and rotate them around, I guess.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm actually looking into getting "antique" tags for the truck. In PA, any vehicle 25 years or older can have "antique" tags with no annual registration or inspection.

As already mentioned... read the fine print.

We have a similar "collector" registration here for vehicles. Trouble is the condition and originality need to be especially good (also completely unmodified) and puts a lot of restrictions on use.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We have a similar "collector" registration here for vehicles. Trouble is the condition and originality need to be especially good (also completely unmodified) and puts a lot of restrictions on use.
Dad gum beauracrats! If y'all ever want to dress up like indians and throw our licence plates in Boston harbor, let me know, I'm down.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No cop around here is going to hassle someone with an "antique" plate, even if driven everyday IMO. If they do, you say you're going to a car show or it's the first time driven this week. Much more pressing issues for the police to act upon than someone with antique plates. You're also not supposed to carry passengers or haul anything in the bed. LOL.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick search on the internet, appears there's a vendor on eBay selling them. It's a 5-piece kit designed for 1980 thru 1997. Vendor name: classicparts4u. eBay item number: 403798811668.
$200 I'll probably just cut and patch the "bad" rail. I'm actually surprised they put that on the reason for failure (aside from the radiator support which i admit is pretty much gone in the usual spots)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online