BB > G

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 turbo engine with a remote turbo that produces about 5# under moderate load and maybe 10 third gear, foot on the floor, uphill.

It currently has a 5069 IP and BB injectors. It runs fine and seems to be smoke free.

I also have a fresh set of G code injectors. What might I expect if I swapped the G for the BB?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In my engine I found I got lower mileage and less power with the G codes. I purchased 2 new sets of G codes and tried both sets. Even pop tested both sets. the BB codes I got from Russ were like adding 2 more cylinders to my mill. This was my experience. you you "feel or get" is just that. Others live by the G codes but really.. they were designed for emissions control way back then..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience the newer stanadyne injectors have better internals and just better machining, but were designed with some emissions requirements in consideration, so do not perform the best out of the box, but can be made to perform great with a proper setup. The B.B. codes were the original design for these engines and had little to no consideration for emissions, so perform really well out of the box, but usually when they are due for a rebuild, they need all new internals and not just resetting the pop pressure like the stanadynes.

This is just my opinion with the two

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What vendor claims that? Really all idi injectors flow a ton in stock form especially for how little fuel the ip puts out stock

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDI injectors aren't as critical with a turbo. Without a turbo, you want the finest spray pattern you can, injector pattern matters. With a turbo... you can get away with not having any spray pattern at all(R&D stage 1s) and have it work just right(as long as you can shove extra air in there).
Pop pressure and timing are still important, pattern... not so much.

If you want more power, crank up the fuel and disconnect the wastegate. 'Course, you take some extra risk there, but hey... More power is awesome... and honestly, it seems that a 7.3 can handle 15-20 PSI without needing studs.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted about this years ago, I had the tool room measure a couple sets of injectors. I don't have the measurements right now but the g injectors do have a larger diameter hole. BUT the pintle more u shaped for creating a finer spray pattern. I had the idea of creating a hybrid injector but lost my connections and it never happened.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a reman 93 turbo engine. When I could not get a turbo flexplate I pulled the rotating assembly and had it balanced to match the 89 flexplate/flywheel. When I reassembled it I used studs.

I have a 2001 7.3 PSD, trusted Ford had properly sized the turbo, noted there was no waste gate, so ordered a 7.3 PSD turbo and no waste gate.

The turbo is on the stock Y pipe at about the end of the transmission. There is about five feet of aluminum tubing back to the intake.

Third gear, converter locked, foot on the floor up hill, it can make ten pounds. Air temp at the intake under that condition can reach about 70c. Flat highway and around town it never gets "off the peg" at 40c. Exhaust temps both sides can get to maybe 1K if it is a very long hill.

Adjusting the pump I would have two choices; one hand no eyes, or remove the pump.

I consider all the hardware negotiable. Suggestions?