Bauman E4OD controller

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 88 and 91 F250....88 is my BLUE OX which as my swapped inZF and D60......but waek oil burning and leaking engine. 91 has solid engin...unkown E4OD but was working now limp mode.

Honeatly though I like rowing my desire for shifting in stop n go city traffic is weak...auto looks appealing I tell ya...

So ?

How for tbose that have one has a bauman controller worked out for u.

At this poing I just want an auto....

Thanks for looking

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save yourself the headache of trying to figure out a E40D. Call John Wood transmissions in El Centro california. Talk to him. The guy is a walking Ford transmission encyclopedia on all Ford's. I did and am very happy with my tranny in my 2002 powerstroke.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a 91 E4OD to work correctly.
Transmitter on trans at the speedo cable. Speedometer working.
Tach working.
TPS set correctly and no worn spots that could cause voltage loose.
No shorted or bare wires, connector seated in fully on pass side .
MLPS good.

Whats it doing?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a 91 E4OD to work correctly.
Transmitter on trans at the speedo cable. Speedometer working.
Tach working.
TPS set correctly and no worn spots that could cause voltage loose.
No shorted or bare wires, connector seated in fully on pass side .
MLPS good.

Whats it doing?
2/3/R manually only no 1 / 4 auto shift..no blinky od light....od switch turns light off n on correctly

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM E4OD controller:

With no power going to the solenoid pack in the valve body, you will get:

2nd gear in "1" or "2"
4th gear in "D"
Reverse in "R"

This allows you to still limp along by selecting 2nd or 4th gear manually even with a complete electrical failure in the transmission control system. Line pressure also goes to maximum so engagement may feel more harsh than usual. Converter lockup will not function at all, so overdrive is sometimes mistaken for 3rd gear when in limp mode.

Baumannator TCS: (original, not the new opti-shift)

I have no complaints about my older Baumann system but even if you do decide to go that way, it won't solve any wiring problems especially if it happens to be a bad solenoid body, or a solenoid body connector.

Having said that, the wiring for a baumann system is less involved than the OEM so there are less things to go wrong. There is no monitoring of barometric pressure (altitude), engine RPM or the instrument cluster. All it needs is TPS, VSS and MLPS signals.

There is no automatic diagnostic protocol, fault codes, or limp mode. Live monitoring with a laptop will allow you to see what's happening in the controller however. Developing a shift program that you like may also take a little while.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got an optishift bauman controller on my 4l80e in my Tahoe. It's simple... it works. No bells/whistles.. no bs.

Not sure about differences between the e4od unit and the 4l80e, but I'd us one on an e4od no question.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A reman trans and aftermarket controller no doubt are very nice (though very expensive) but the thing is,you could probably just fix your issue for free.

First off,make sure the solenoid pack plug looks good and make sure the trans is getting power.
Did you check your trans relay and inspect the solenoid pack plug yet? This is where I would start with high gear start in D.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working 6 n 7 days a week meams no time to fiddle and when u do not know wher TF everything is its a PITA to start chasing crap.

Get bauman and their harness...see if works...then step up to a highly built trams..

When I have time have no coin...when have coin have zero time...sometimes tossing moneuly at it is best....when u really dont know *** is going on

Reactions: hce

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah.Keep your money man.It comes way too hard these days.Besides a 5k trans from BTS would act the same exact way in your truck.Just take a look here:

E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness. Code 62 & More

Also here:
full

If your willing to spend several hundred to correct the issue,then just take it to a trans shop and tell them you want them to troubleshoot your electrical system for your trans.Probably cost much,much less anyway.

What if you get under there and pull the plug and see it looks like this?
full

It's a $40 fix and 20 mins of your time.Repair harnesses sold on ebay.

Last edited: