E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness. Code 62 & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E40D: The Importance Of A Clean Trans Harness. Code 62 & More.

this is not a universal e40d help thread.it is limited only to the type of issues listed.there are many reasons for a flashing OD light/codes.here we are talking only about solenoid pack related issues.
if your unsure if your E40D shares these particular type of issues.please start a new thread.do not ask for help here.
you can however go ahead and follow the instructions posted before starting a new thread if your unsure.insuring you've got a clean trans harness,will never be a waste of your time,even if it doesn't resolve your issue at hand.

flashing OD light? getting any of these codes:
62 this ones popular.it doesn't automatically mean you have a mechanical failure/bad torque converter.in fact,it very rarely means that.
it just means the TCM sensed the converter unlocked due a break in the line between the TCM and the solenoid,it's solenoid has failed in the pack,or you really do have a mechanically failing torque converter.don't ever jump to conclusions and assume the worst.you do that,and you could end up with code 62 still even with a brand new top of the line,high end converter.

attachment.php

Failed shift solenoid pack plug.
This is an example of what you don't want to see! This is the main harness that the ECM uses to communicate with the transmission. If yours looks like this one,google search:
E4OD solenoid wire harness repair kit 1989-94
(that will be for all idi trucks with the E40D.)
attachment.php

if you have or suspect the plug is dirty,or damaged clip,etc,then it's best to buy it as soon as you can.otherwise the solenoid/tot/converter slip codes will just keep coming back.
once you replace that side,flush the s-pack pins out really good with electrical cleaner.

Ford E4OD Transmission Solenoid Wire Harness Repair Kit 1989 94 99608 | eBay

Let me google that for you

once all dried out good (must be 100%) closely inspect the pins using your mirror.scrape them up and make each brightly shine again if need be.can even drop the pan and just pull it and take your time with the pins if needed.
if you want this issue resolved for the rest of the trucks life with no more hassles,this hour or two job will do the trick.you can't make sure this connection is flawless enough.when you think it's perfect,double your efforts again x2 lol.
she'll run like brand new with perfect connection here.
attachment.php

attachment.php

this is the main line of communication between the trans controller and your transmission.these pins can't be over clean.take your time and make them shine.
upon reasonably,just before plugging it in,apply a nice dose of Permatex 22058 dielectric tune-up grease.

Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube

attachment.php

attachment.php

remember now.......anything short of perfect will = failure.flashing od light.limp mode.hassles.removal of plug all the time,spraying of plug.etc.etc.etc......been there done that,got the t-shirt.it wasn't worth it.
spend the 40-45 bucks,two hours worth of time and be done with it for years and years.;Sweet

oh.though it may be overkill.those crimp connectors are heat shrink style.go ahead and shrink them with heat once crimped but first,slide on some universal heat shrink tubing too so you can shrink them again.then wrap them all with e-tape like a half the roll.then wire loom,and wire tie.you want no hassles.overkill here is ok.;)

hmm.know what,i think this might be the most detailed thread about insuring this bulkhead connector is 100% flawless,that im going to save it and reference others to it,as it's such a common issue.save me some future typing.;)
so then,i might add for better search results the common codes a bad plug can cause:

possible related codes due to a bad s-pack or connector (either side)

Transmission Oil Temperature (TOT) sensor out of range

Transmission Torque Converter clutch not engaging (guessing on this one.seems likely though if a connection can't be made.)

E4OD excessive converter clutch slippage

Transmission Oil Temperature (TOT) signal low (possibly grounded)

Transmission SS 1 circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission SS 2 circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission TCC circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission TCC circuit/solenoid problem

Transmission EPC circuit/solenoid failure

Transmission EPC circuit/solenoid failure

so basically as you can see,any of the type of codes that would be related to a faulty connection between trans control unit/TCM and the solenoids.makes sense right?
oh,that statement reminds me of a pic.then let me help you get the idea of what this is with this pic:
attachment.php

(s-pack = short for solenoid pack.pretty obvious but it's a made up abbreviation by me to save typing,so i shouldn't assume all will know what im talking about lol.)

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find an OBD 1 reader, they're cheap. I bought one at Advanced for $20. Just about any part store will have one/get one. Ebay. Whatever. Easily pay for itself

1994 Ford F250 Superduty, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Err, I'm sure there is someone on these forums that know that for certain, but I know on my 94 F250 it's on the driver fender in the engine compartment. It plugs into a dummy port attach to the fender. There's a large plug and a small plug.

1994 Ford F250 Superduty, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late question. How do you go about removing the solenoid pack? Is there any small parts involved or particular things to look out for/be careful with?

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From what I know the solenoid pack is removed with small bolts coming out. It is a dirty job because of the dripping ATF on you most of the job. I don't recall any small parts like springs and pins falling out but others with more experience will chime in.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
to remove the solenoid pack,simply;
spray around the electrical connector to remove all grease and grime.
remove the electrical connector.
drop/drain the pan.
you'll see two studs.remove the two nuts from them.
remove the bolts holding the pack in place.
while holding the pack and pulling down in a slight wiggle/twisting motion,also push down gently on the electrical connector and the pack should "pop" out.

now with it out of the trans,you can flush out the electrical pin real good and take a good look at the connectors.if you see green corrosion going way down in the pins (like mine was on chip trucks) then do yourself a big favor and replace the pack w/new or reman because that corrosion was cased by a faulty electrical connector for years and the corrosion goes too far into the pins/pack and you'll never get it like new.

it's a fairly easy job.80-100 in lb to torque nuts/bolts too upon reassembly.

if the pack needs to be replaced,remember the solenoid pack is 1989-1994 only for idi trucks.
the latter '95+ will not work.

in the "log truck" (build thread) of mine,you'll see me install a shift kit.there you'll find some pics of the pack removal/install.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.