battery load testers - what do you use?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone share what kind/what price/what amp battery load tester you use? I am talking about the ones with two heavy clamps that connect to the batteries, then you flip a momentary switch that puts a load on them.
i actually bought one today at harbor freight that was on sale for $15 but i would not feel too bad about returning it and spending more for a good one. The one i got is 100 amp and can measure up to 1000 cca. Then i did a quick ebay search and saw ones that did 130 amps and even 500 amps, and supposedly the higher amp drawing ones are more accurate. None of them seemed all that expensive to me and there were even some name brands which i assume are better than the typical "made in china."
any suggestions?

thanks,
paul

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best ones are the carbon pile type that have a knob to turn to increase the load.
The toggle switch ones get really hot really fast on dual battery setups. They do work ok to do quick charging checks.

the harbor freight 500 amp one is exactly like mine only different name.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Harbor Freight one, the shop has a fancy pricey one; the Harbor Freight works better than the fancy one.

The absolute best "load" test is to just hook the battery to the truck SINGLY and play it by ear.

If it slings the engine over easily and doesn't fall from under itself, then all is probably good.

A battery can test perfect today and tonight have a chunk of crud stick between two plates and never work again.