Banks Kit Question (1st Generation)

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a first gen banks turbo for a very good deal. I have done some searching and I’ve found a lot of good information on this turbo kit. This particular setup is on a 6.9L van with an automatic transmission (C6) and would be going onto my 7.3L manual transmission F250. I know the air intake setup is different but looks like I would be able to use the van version I believe as it is just a tube with a cone filter on it. My bigger question is the other components though. I’ve seen some references to the piping being different for auto vs manual. Does anyone know what components would and would not change over?

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unforunately I think there are significant differences between the C6/auto version and the version for the manual transmission. The Y pipe and maybe even the mount are different.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo pedestals are different for manual versus auto trans. Do some more digging—there are some great pics showing the differences on here somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I’ve found the picture. Wow, I wouldn’t have thought a company would want to produce several different kits. Oh well, looks like it may be more trouble than it’s worth.

You must be registered for see images attach

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is this located? I"ve been looking for a turbo here in Jersey and they are as rare as hen's teeth. I have an '87 6.9 w/ c6

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a first gen banks turbo for a very good deal. I have done some searching and I’ve found a lot of good information on this turbo kit. This particular setup is on a 6.9L van with an automatic transmission (C6) and would be going onto my 7.3L manual transmission F250. I know the air intake setup is different but looks like I would be able to use the van version I believe as it is just a tube with a cone filter on it. My bigger question is the other components though. I’ve seen some references to the piping being different for auto vs manual. Does anyone know what components would and would not change over?

The van setup is completely different - and rare as hell! Sell it to somebody with a van! Nothing will fit! Van manifolds are different, so the up pipes won't fit, and that's just the start of your difficulties.
Info on the rare Banks kit here: https://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/turbo/differences-between-idi-van-turbo-kits/

Eli

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think I’ve found the picture. Wow, I wouldn’t have thought a company would want to produce several different kits. Oh well, looks like it may be more trouble than it’s worth.

You must be registered for see images attach
I know that Wes has a comparison picture like this since I brought along my manual pedestal to compare to his one for an auto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance