Balance Problems

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I went to the shop today to pick up my motor. I'm told that the pistons have a 11 gram differance from high to low weight.... Geez... Thats what I told them when I gave them everything to balance. The rods are all at 1272 plus or minus about 3/4 gram but the new Mahle pistons vary from 1216 to 1227.5. Thats way too much to remove from the pistons. So I may be calling Mahle tomorrow and finding out *** is going on here. The 2 pistons are 1216 grams and 1218 grams so if I can get 2 pistons that weigh around 1226 grams I would be set. I'm thinking fat chance on that. Any thoughts on what to do??? I do have the other set that was in the motor when it burned down. Four pistons are scuffed and 4 are ok. I just don't want 2 pistons with 5200 miles on them in a new motor.....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would think they could do it, you are only talking .385 ounce.

We have seen bigger differences taken out (not familiar with the piston you are usings construction), but I have also seen them add weight, just another thought.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The type piston is Mahle part number 1441800WR STD. From wht I have found out. When pistons are made some don't meet up to specs so they are "set aside for later". Thats probably what I have. Even the runs can be differant in the casting process and a set is made up from differant runs. As I'm typing this Chris called me and is now going to call Kathy at Mahle (I talked with her this morning already) and take care of this problem. Geez... Can and will something else happen to me on this motor. Good thing I'm retired and have another truck for transportation. Sometimes I think if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all.... I'm not angry... Just puzzled at all the "things" that have happened since this motor burn down. The Ebay problem with the heads, cam & oil pump has been finished finally. I'll talk about it later. Just not publically here for now....:D :flipa :moon:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mahle just replied to Diesel Direct and told them to tell me the pistons in question can be run with as much as 15 grams differance between pistons.:eek: I don't think so.... Scooter. So I'm shipping all 8 back to them and they will get me a set that matches closer to the same weight..

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mahle just replied to Diesel Direct and told them to tell me the pistons in question can be run with as much as 15 grams differance between pistons.:eek: I don't think so.... Scooter.

Yeah, they can probably be run with a lot more than that, but for how long??? cookoo I am with you on getting them balanced, just seemed like they could do it with what you have, but as I said, every piston is different, made different etc. so it very well could be. I would do as you are, get it done and balanced the best you can...good luck!

Oh, and I am anxiously awaiting a pm about the "other" stuff. :D