bad mpg's

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in what you find to cure your problem. My dad is still complaining about fuel mileage in his truck (in sig). It has a low mileage engine and a stanadyne reman pump and new type4 injectors. On the upside, he says it doesn't smoke nearly as bad as it used to, and it he says the power is good.
Travis..

ilm99cumminss

Reaction score
this truck has plenty of power i mean it will smoke the back tires no problem when you left foot it and its a dually. i cut the bowl out of the air cleaner and installed a new air filter also. not sure what els to try? can you adavce the timing on these to gain mpg like you can the cummins?

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
I never had the problem of returning fuel to the opposite tank on a Ford, but had a 79 K20 Chevy for a while that did that. Couldn't figure out why I got such lousy fuel mileage till i noticed out on a welding job one day that I had gas running out the filler neck of the RH tank :eek: glad I noticed it before I fired up the welder.

I would check the switch valve, but also would check the compression with that many miles on it, I have never seen an IDI with that kind of miles on it, that could very well be a record. Also check the injectors and I would even go ahead and change the fuel filter too if you haven't already.

Other than those things just check for fuel leaks, I never did have a 7.3 that got overly good mileage. Last one I had was a 91 F250 ext cab lwb 4x4 with an automatic that never got over 9 mpg, and my 83 F350 6.9 c6 auto only gets 11 empty and around 7 with the trailer on.

Bryce

ilm99cumminss

Reaction score
its got a new fuel filter. and really you guys think its a record for the highest miles? i figured those miles would be pretty commmon on a older truck like this . my dad bought it brand new and its a sundowner horse trailer conversion truck but you can tell its had a rough life!
also thanks for all the replies guys keep them coming!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this truck has plenty of power i mean it will smoke the back tires no problem when you left foot it and its a dually. i cut the bowl out of the air cleaner and installed a new air filter also. not sure what els to try? can you adavce the timing on these to gain mpg like you can the cummins?

Yes, but too far and it will start to eat your glow plugs. If you decide to play with your pump timing, DO mark the current location so you can return to it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online