Baby moose arrived

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My baby moose arrived today. Hopefully I will be installing it in the next few days.
I have had a poor idling and sometimes poor running truck since last Feb,
Lets hope this takes care of the problem.
Hey, at least I'll have the fastest old IDI in Vegas!;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remember.... Don't take the gear cover off. Just remove the front 1/4 inch thick plate and remove the 3 5/16th hex bolts in the gear. Then remove the 3 9/16th nuts on the pump side of the gear cover. Usually the filter feed line needs to come off for more room to slip the pump free of the cover. All the hard lines can stay on the pump and it will snake out but its kinda tight... It will come out. Don't remove the line vibration dampners.. Those hold the lines in there designed locations making it easy to reset on the new pump. Ask questions before you jump in over your head... There is always someone awake on this board wanting to help... I'm 260 miles from Vegas and can drop in if help is needed Just put me up at the Winn on the strip and alls good...:D Just kidden ya....

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
Remember.... Don't take the gear cover off. Just remove the front 1/4 inch thick plate and remove the 3 5/16th hex bolts in the gear. Then remove the 3 9/16th nuts on the pump side of the gear cover.

2X, I had to go and learn what not to do. Removing the gear cover can definitely cause extra work.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy. Are you dropping in new injectors and a return line kit as well? It will certainly be an opportune time to do those as well.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually by the time the new pump arrives it is too late to say not to remove the gear cover. LOL Unfortunately, I have recieved pumps with the gear housing and gear attached! Well we all like a challenge don't we? ;Really

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was smart enough to read Mels tech article on the pump changeout the first time I did the pump back in Feb, so I knew not to remove the gear cover.

I've had a couple different pumps in and out of this thing the last few months, so this one will be fairly easy.

I will be ordering new motorcraft plugs from diesel filters online tommorow and as soon as they get here, I will tackle the job.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember.... Don't take the gear cover off. Just remove the front 1/4 inch thick plate and remove the 3 5/16th hex bolts in the gear. Then remove the 3 9/16th nuts on the pump side of the gear cover. Usually the filter feed line needs to come off for more room to slip the pump free of the cover. All the hard lines can stay on the pump and it will snake out but its kinda tight... It will come out. Don't remove the line vibration dampners.. Those hold the lines in there designed locations making it easy to reset on the new pump. Ask questions before you jump in over your head... There is always someone awake on this board wanting to help... I'm 260 miles from Vegas and can drop in if help is needed Just put me up at the Winn on the strip and alls good...:D Just kidden ya....

Sorry Gary, I cant afford the winn, how about the super-8?LOL

Just exactly where are you in CA? I might be willing to drive down there to get my timing set.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy. Are you dropping in new injectors and a return line kit as well? It will certainly be an opportune time to do those as well.

Heath

I put new injectors and a return line kit on back in Feb but I will pull them out and have them tested next week just to be on the safe side.

I have had this thing apart a few times since then, do you guys think I should by another return kit?
I will at least get new O rings and copper for the injectors when I have them tested, I just wonder how many times these little plastic caps like to be snapped on and off before they crap out.:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... do you guys think I should by another return kit?
I will at least get new O rings and copper for the injectors when I have them tested, I just wonder how many times these little plastic caps like to be snapped on and off before they crap out.:dunno

The return line system seems to be very easily disturbed. They maybe fine if you reuse them, but they may leak like a sieve. They can drive you insane. The new o-rings and copper washers are a great idea as is testing the inejctors.;Sweet

Heath