Axle code Questions

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As most of you know I spun the yoke on the rear pinion last week.

Well I went and pulled another axle today out of a 96 f250 crewcab that has an axle code of c5, which I think is 4.10 with limited slip.

The axle code in the door of my truck reads 35, what would this code be?

The only thing that I have to pull on the other truck are the mounts for the sway bar thats on the new axle. Do you guys really think that I need this, if not that would save me from having to torch the rivots off of the other truck.

Also there is a sway bar on the front axle of the other truck, would it be worth pulling it to put on my truck?

Thanks in advance.

tknomaj

Reaction score
sway bars

They are only required if you like to be in control of your truck I have driven trucks and jeeps&broncos that people have removed them and it feels like Mr. Toads wild ride. Some will say they are not nessary but IMHO they are just as important as having brakes

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I might go back with a grinder and get the other mounts then, ive only hauled with a truck that has had them a few times so im not real experience with the use of the sway bars.

Its crazy I always thought that I had 3.55 gears because I could get up to 17 mpg during the summer, but 4.10s would explain only being able to get 13.5 during the winter.

Are 4.10s supposed to be less doggy then 3.55s?

Also, would the front axle on the other truck have limited slip or was it only in the rears?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Front limited slips are rare. I am not sure what the crteria for getting one is but its not the snow plow prep package. Probably needed to be ordered that way
Ken

tknomaj

Reaction score
sway bars

some people remove them for more axle articultion but unless you plan on putting big$ in lifts and off road suspension it is just to boost their ego . sway bars help to transfer body movement or sway from one wheel back to the other helping to keep vehicle level and both tires firmly planted on road the limited slip is just in the rear i have never found a limited slip in front from factory most i see are installed by owners after they have gotten stuck install the sway bars i think you will like how the change your trucks road feel

tknomaj

Reaction score
ken maybe trucks ordered for forestry service might have received them? and yes 4.11 gears make hauling and towing much easier but are not the ultimate for mpg's

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that I will get the stuff to install the sway bars, but it will have to be on the next paycheck. Ive already spent 150 on the rearend and 75 on a set of airbags.

Im still debating on putting a flatbed on, but I really dont have the cash for it anyway.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that I will get the stuff to install the sway bars, but it will have to be on the next paycheck. Ive already spent 150 on the rearend and 75 on a set of airbags.

Im still debating on putting a flatbed on, but I really dont have the cash for it anyway.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sway bars - my old '79 Chevy left the factory without one, and so did my old '78 F150 4x4, at the tripple-digit speeds I've had the Chev up to a front bar would definitely help, but during regular driving I never really felt the need for it, same with the mud-slinger. Now my F350 has both front and rear bars and corners like tis on rails, no body roll whatsoever, would be even sweeter if I had 19.5" wheels and tires like the P30 vans :D

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i took the sway bars off my 88 and i dont really notice them. i dont drive it much over 90 and thats on the strights. truck is to heavy to be playing corner carver with it. but i definatly dont think i would put them back.

front LSD was a factory option, special order. my dads 95 F150 he ordered has front and rear LSD...man is that a blast to drive in the snow.

tknomaj

Reaction score
sway bars

I live in socal where people do weird things to trucks lowered 4x4's lifted 4x4s they do the same with 2wd trucks and they get squirrley today i saw a lifted toyota tercel with 22's so i love my sway bars my f350 crew 4x4 has 4" lift and 35" tires and in crosswinds it is just fine and as for cornering it is a bit long for that:rotflmao

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info, thanks. I tend not to go over 65 most of the time anyway. I like to scare the people sitting in the passenger seat though. Its kinda funny to watch them grabbing at the door while I just hold onto the steering wheel like nothings happening.:)

Ill probably go and grind off the mounts for the rear on Monday, and pull the front bar when I get my next paycheck. I do tend to pull heavy often and occasionally have to drive in and around large (Florida) hills while getting on and off of job sites.

On a side note, when changing the fluid in the rear axle, should I go and pick up some of the additive meant for limited slip rearends. If so what do guys recommend. Ive got about 2 gallons of gear oil left, but it doesnt have any additives.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ditched the sway bars on the Moosestang. Never looked back. Even with a 2" body lift, it's not been a problem.