AWESOME!!!!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
A year after i did them the first time i get to do the rear brakes on my truck again. they are squeaking constantly at low speeds and i get a nice loud squeak when i come to a stop sometimes.

hopefully the brand new drum that i put on is not *****.

BTW, ~5-6,000 miles on this set.

the right rear shoes were way down a few months back when i checked them trying to figure out why my pedal is soft.

I can't wait!!!!

Oh and for those that don't know Ford's obs "era" brakes SUCK.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
if the shoe adjustment was wrong if anything they were to far out, rather than dragging too much.

brakes are crap b/c of all the sinking/soft pedal b.s. everything new on brake system and they act the same way they did when the rear brakes did not have ANY shoe material on them. i have just accepted the fact that the brakes, at least on my truck, will never be any good. wouldn't want to hook a big trailer to it that's for sure.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I thought about doing a rear disc swap to improve braking but the biggest thing that helped my brakes was the hydroboost swap.

My rear brakes are perfect. the self adjusters work fairly well. actually adjusted the rear brakes while i was waiting for my transmission and they only took a click or two to be right. I did the brakes 2 years ago with about 80k on them already. Used Raybestos professional grade shoes, cylinders and hardware kit. I tried using the Advance shoes but they were so freaking noisy the first time. The 2nd time they were too grabby. I thought there was something else wrong with the truck and i replaced cylinders, adjusters and hardware kit with the raybestos stuff. After i ripped the pad material from a front set of Advance brakes, i decided to replace with all good stuff and all of a sudden my rear brakes were perfect. I will never, ever use Advance stuff for brakes ever again.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Being in the salt belt doesn't help with your self adjusters, my brakes work exceptionally, as far as the actual adjustment and wear goes, I'm just use to low vacuum but all of that is solved now and is a different story.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
if the shoe adjustment was wrong if anything they were to far out, rather than dragging too much.

brakes are crap b/c of all the sinking/soft pedal b.s. everything new on brake system and they act the same way they did when the rear brakes did not have ANY shoe material on them. i have just accepted the fact that the brakes, at least on my truck, will never be any good. wouldn't want to hook a big trailer to it that's for sure.

Either you're doing something wrong, or something is messed up with your truck...
My 92 has 162XXX on it and I can honestly say that I've never had the drums off, I have a buddy with a 94 (single owner IDIT) with 310XXX on it and he's only done the rear brakes once (truck has been used hard towing 7.5 tons plus it's entire life).

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a truck today that he just did a disc and hydro swap on and omg is it a big difference!!!
That is the wayto go

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove a truck today that he just did a disc and hydro swap on and omg is it a big difference!!!
That is the wayto go
Are you referring to rear disc brakes?

I've always liked the idea of rear discs, but it seems like every conversion setup out there either uses rear brake discs from a passenger car (i.e. compromising braking power) or leads to you losing the parking brake function. Haven't seen a real answer yet, short of replacing the transfer case with an F-450 driveshaft brake or swapping in a SuperDuty axle that has factory rear discs and a parking brake mini-drum inside...

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The newer Econolines retained the 8x6.5 bolt pattern and are disk rear.

Wasn't there a link to a build thread where someone took the disks off the later van D60 rear, and put them on the sterling? I remember reading about the swap, Seriously tempted by it.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Reasons for drums on rear: Less brake friction when unapplied; trucks need a forward bias braking; rain and MOST wet conditions don't effect performance.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Reasons for drums on rear: Less brake friction when unapplied; trucks need a forward bias braking; rain and MOST wet conditions don't effect performance.

Add in that drums have more stopping power at a given hydraulic pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online