Squealing rear drums

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had their rear drums squeak when braking no matter what you try? E brake isn't on, drums don't look glazed or burnt, no deep scratches or anything. Shoes have plenty of life left. Brake cleaned everything, adjusted them for a little drag and drove the truck. Fine for a few hundred miles and squeaking again. Did another cleaning, adjustment hadn't changed on anything. Same symptoms, fine for a few hundred miles and squeaking again now.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Could just be a low quality part. Had something similar, but with the front pads. Swapped them for a higher quality pad, and it stopped.

Another thing, did you lightly grease the "pad areas" on the back plate where the shoe rubs against?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I had chevies that were famous for that. Remove the drum and tap out the dust; goes away for a while.

All I can figure is the friction material.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Like already asked, did the pad on the backing plate get lubed? Old school was anti seize.

Sometimes friction material just does that. I would try getting them good and warm before I changed them.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like already asked, did the pad on the backing plate get lubed? Old school was anti seize.

Sometimes friction material just does that. I would try getting them good and warm before I changed them.
First time I had it apart yes, second time I didn't bother. It is always a little dusty when I take it apart, maybe the friction material is wearing too quickly. I'm just trying to avoid getting new drums. I don't want to get new shoes and internal parts if the noise is coming from the drum itself when they still are thick. I'm sure replacing everything would fix it, but they aren't cheap. Nothing is anymore.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Last thing i would suspect is the drum. Try another set of shoes.

There's usually some break-in time before the shoe curvature wears to match the drum; and more material (dust) will be shed until then. Old-school brake re-line shops would shape your linings to the drum.