Avg coolant temp 6.9

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine gets to 180 but once idling it starts going back down to 140.

You also have a bad t-stat or bad gauge/sending unit.No time once up to temp (at the very least 190F) can it ever drop below this, with a properly working t-stat.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like about 230+ coolant temps and 260+ oil temps : )
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also have a bad t-stat or bad gauge/sending unit.No time once up to temp (at the very least 190F) can it ever drop below this, with a properly working t-stat.

T stat has been replaced twice along with the rad. Both t stats are motorcraft. I know the parts stores are consider bad but I thought about trying one?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was just checking to see if your factory gauge was inaccurate. Since you're not going by the factory gauge, then It should be fairly accurate. I can say that last December 17, we had a huge cold front come in. The north winds were probably 25 to 30 mph. The temperature was at most 5 degrees. I drove for over an hour unloaded into the wind. My mechanical gauge stayed right between 190 and 195 the whole time. I'm using a Motorcraft thermostat. I could never understand the cardboard in front of the radiator. To me, if the thermostat is working right, your engine temp should never go much below the opening temperature of the thermostat. The aftermarket one in my 302, on the other hand. Will fluctuate between 160 and 170 when it's 20 degrees outside. It's not warm enough for me. I just ordered a Motorcraft thermostat for it too. I want to have enough heat this winter in both trucks.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just checking to see if your factory gauge was inaccurate. Since you're not going by the factory gauge, then It should be fairly accurate. I can say that last December 17, we had a huge cold front come in. The north winds were probably 25 to 30 mph. The temperature was at most 5 degrees. I drove for over an hour unloaded into the wind. My mechanical gauge stayed right between 190 and 195 the whole time. I'm using a Motorcraft thermostat. I could never understand the cardboard in front of the radiator. To me, if the thermostat is working right, your engine temp should never go much below the opening temperature of the thermostat. The aftermarket one in my 302, on the other hand. Will fluctuate between 160 and 170 when it's 20 degrees outside. It's not warm enough for me. I just ordered a Motorcraft thermostat for it too. I want to have enough heat this winter in both trucks.

I just don't get why it won't stay warm I'm going to order another fan clutch I do have a parts store t stat which I would prefer not use. But the truck heats up but them once you let it idle it starts dropping temp

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T stat has been replaced twice along with the rad. Both t stats are motorcraft. I know the parts stores are consider bad but I thought about trying one?

You either have a faulty gauge or your getting very unlucky and getting dud t-stats.
You can have a locked up fan but if the t-stat is set to 190F then that's going to be your temp.
How's the heat in the cab? Does it heat you right out? If so,I would suspect a faulty gauge.Don't have one of those point and shoots do ya?

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heat isn't that good til it get up to 190 that' when it get hot in there. I do have one but it' in my room box at work.