auxilary overdrive ?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, does anyone know how much a gearvendors unit shortens your driveshaft? I would like to put one on my truck but I am begining to have my doubts, my wheelbase is only 117" and even though its 2wd it still makes for a pretty short driveshaft, I really dont think that I could fit one of these in there, any thoughts -Brad-

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I installed a GV on my IDI & IIRC I had to shorten the driveshaft 14", which left me with a front driveshaft length (had a crew cab with a 2 piece rear driveshaft) of 11.25" in front of the carrier bearing. Driveshaft angle is very important when you install a GV & I had no problems. Well worth the money!!

Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Here's a few pic of it on the truck.

Attachments

• P7310032.JPG
    P7310032.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 33
  • P7310033.JPG
    P7310033.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 28

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen how short a factory rear drive shaft is on a Jeep CJ5? You got lots of room to play with.
Thats funny you say that, I,ve got one in my garage right now that I am rebuilding the motor in for someone. I didnt happen to notice the driveshaft though, I will have to look. -Brad-

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Brad,

There are two different models of the GV overdrive. The one I have is like the one pictured in another post. They also have one that doesn't increase the transmission length. That model requires the replacement of the transmission output shaft with one from them. Otherwise the same OD unit, just a more complicated installation and more money.

Jim