Aux. tranny cooler before or after Rad one?

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your guys' opinions on running transmission coolers before or after the stock radiator one.

I was thinking they should go after so that the liquid to oil cooler will do a majority of the cooling and then my 2 "U" loop finned coolers will get it even cooler.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
After - that is because a Liquid to Liquid cooler is much more efficient heat transfer method - so let it do the bulk of the cooling then allow the less efficient one shed the rest of the heat.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On my BTS trans Brian told me to install a psd superduty trans cooler and don't use the radiator cooler. I have not used the rad cooler for over 125,000 miles. Even the Jaspers rebuilt trans directions told me not to use the rad cooler. I run a very large cooler. I think its 35,000 lbs but its been a whiles since I installed it. CRS I guess....:dunno

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
on my 95 its not using the rad cooler.
on my old 96 its just using twin air to air, and after the new trans will be using the same.
but fwiw the early 99 trucks without being plumbed to the rad had overheating issues.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not before, not after, but instead - ya know, those factory in-radiator trans coolers make for very nice fuel heaters... and retired A/C condensers make for some very nice trans coolers ;)

discbrks

Reaction score
I've always been told by the transmission gurus to omit the radiator cooler and only run the aux. cooler. When I asked why, they told me that the glue that holds the friction material to the clutches is a water-soluable glue. If the cooler in the radiator ever develops a hole in it, and coolant is able to seep in the trans. cooler lines and get to the trans, the water in the coolant will cause the friction material to fall off the clutches. That may be a bunch of horse-hockey.... or it might be true.... I dunno.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out. I just put in my new Hayden Transaver Plus 30k cooler on yesterday, and noticed that when Ford put my new reman tranny in, they put the aux cooler (a little tiny one that comes with the tranny) before the radiator. I redid it with both aux coolers after the rad (as recommended by Hayden instructions). It will be interesting to see what my temps are now. I was running up to 190 with the truck empty, and it would stay at 200-210 towing the 5r with 240 once cresting a long hill when towing the 5r. It hasn't gotten above 140 yet, but I haven't driven the truck much yet. Will be real interesting to see my temps with the camper behind it!