Autolites, yuck.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Disgusting. Thank god no issues with 7 of them (that is six but I dropped one and have no idea where in the yard it is at this time.)

8 beru zd9's going back in. Only one problem.. Glow plug for cylinder 4 is just not coming out. I was pretty sure I had all the thread out and went to gently pull up and felt resistance. I can't tell if I'm hitting a swollen head or something or if I didn't quite get all of the threads out since I started snugging up to the hard lines above it. Any tips for getting this one out that don't involve taking the hard lines off? I might just try the engine with 7/8 working good zd9's. Absolutely 0 of them were in working condition when ohm tested this morning and I hooked them up to a vice grounded it and zapped them with a battery charger just to make further sure and they're all junk. Not surprisingly either but hey I didn't put them in there lol..

Any advice welcome on that one plug. I really think I had the threads out and was hitting a swell so I think it's just going back in cause I for sure am not pulling a head. Can't and or won't. Haha. At least I'm running a manual push button so I can control my glow to a healthy 5-6 seconds no matter the lost resistance of the one plug.

In summary though, if you put autolites in a truck sit on a cactus afterwards for good measure.

Jarkill

Reaction score
Autolites came in my truck too. Pulling them this weekend.......Looks like good times

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take the clamps off the hard lines (and disconnect it from the injector) so you can get it out of the way. Then put a little penetrating oil on the plug so it runs on down the full length. slide a piece of surgical rubber tubing (small enough to grab the GP) over a deep well socket. Put the socket over the GP and spin it while pulling up on socket. If necessary chuck an extension in a reversible drill and spin it while pulling up.

Carbon on the glow plug, and in the hole, should provide enough abrasive to grind away anything keeping the GP from coming out. 'course any grindings are now in your cylinder, pick your poison.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only thing you can do is hit it with a good penetrating oil and work it back and forth.
There is a removal tool, but it may break the tip off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Brian, I wished you would have brought those to the rally. Since you were parked in my back yard, I could have helped ya get those cancerous things out of there.

Gonna have to remove the lines so you can get in thee with a small pair of vice grips. Lube it up good with some pb blaster and just keep turning it and putting upward pressure on it to work that swelled tip around, up and out. Took me 45 minutes to get a nasty one out once, but it came out in 1 piece.
Spinning it and pulling up will allow the head to wear the tip down to where it will come out. Using a puller could result in it coming out in pieces.
Take your time, say a few swear words and work it out easy, it'll come, just be patient.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Victory!!

The one that is exiled by itself is the one I couldn't get out. Man it barely looks swelled at all until you really look at it by one that wasn't. Got a pair of needle noses on it to turn it side to side while I pulled up by hand and I could feel it making progress so I "gently" went for it and it came out super easy.

Now I just gotta do the other two difficult things, find the one I lost that is somewhere in the engine bay and want for ups to bring my good ones today from Amazon prime. Ah this is such a sigh of relief for winter. I can always plug it in at work or home but anywhere else I get nervous to take it and I'll be so happy to be done with that crap.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this was turning into one of those long sad stories.. but it ended happy just the same. Be sure to use some anti sieze on just the threads. Make sure that bevel seat at the bottom of the plug body is clean and nothing like anti seize gets on it. Thats the ONLY sealing surface. the threads do not seal. They just hold the plug in the head. Glad you got the bad plug out in one piece.:thumbsup:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So since my new glow plugs aren't coming until tomorrow is there anything I should do outside of shut the hood? Like the truck isn't going to draw damp overnight and collect moisture since the gp holes are open and then hydro lock on me tomorrow? It's gonna be so hot during the day tomorrow even if that were possible it would probably evaporate by noon anyways. It's not like it's supposed to rain for over a week here anyways.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoukd be fine overnight.

But u could break tips off old plugs n drop the tops in holes if felt need buwa ha ha ha to seal out mouze droppings

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I actually did try to break some of these for fun now that they are out of the engine, and it was actually very hard to do. They survived a good bunch of falls on to concrete and being thrown and stepped on. Only got one to chip, and it was a swollen one I threw at a brick wall. Not the most scientific of tests but it was interesting ha

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job, Yea feels good when you get one out that's stuck, number 1 on mine was broke off, autolite also, was able to drill guts out and tap it for #8 screw then used a slide hammer, with gentle taps it eventually came out, if it was one of the back ones, never would have gotten it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes